classroom read-a-thon

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missalli, Nov 7, 2008.

1. missalli

missalli Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I have done school-wide read-a-thons before - well, they were organized by other people, but my classes took part - but I'm in a new district now and they're just not that well organized. However, since I'm teaching remedial reading classes I want to do something to encourage them to read outside of class, so I'm thinking of a read-a-thon just for our classroom. There's no point trying to use it as a fund-raiser (this is a low SES area) but I thought it might be a neat way for them to earn a holiday party (Thanksgiving or Christmas, depending on how early I start it). Like, you have to read X minutes to take part in the party. If you read X+30 minutes you get an extra treat, X+60 something even better, etc.

Has anyone done this before/have any input? Am I crazy to even be considering it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

I don't think I'd tie a holiday party to reading...You could however set up other 'rewards' for different amounts of reading time: lunch with the teacher, extra computer time, certificates for an ice cream in the cafeteria...

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

Have them set individual goals and if most of them reach it have a p.j. party where they bring their blankies, fuzzy wuzzies, and teddy bears. They could have soft drinks and popcorn. We do Accelerated Reader and when my class reaches 1000 points we have a p.j. party. It takes them a while to earn the first one but it's so much fun they work twice as hard for the second one.

5. missalli

missalli Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I really like this idea, but I have to keep in mind that I'm "only" the pull-out teacher. These kids are with me for 2.5 hours in the morning and then they go back to their regular classroom for the rest of the day. It's one thing to get them all excited and sugared up when they're all yours, but I hate to send them back to class having mentally checked out. I purposely keep any kind of celebration in our class very low key.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 7, 2008

We have sweat suit reading parties, with a small blanket and small pillow. We have popcorn and a bottle of water.

The extra might be a bookmark that you make with clip art, print on colored paper and laminate.

A gel pencil gripper. Buy at the Dollar Store

OR a pencil, pencil top eraser and third the gel pencil gripper.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 7, 2008

We had a read-a-thon last night; funny you asked! We had pizza and some games as well for my students to take a break. We did bowling with water bottles and basketball.

My class turned out taking about 80 tests and earning about 300 points in one evening. They are ecstatic about the next time we have an event.

Since you are a resource teacher in all technicality, find a teacher where you can "house" your event. The teacher who helped me is the substitute for our grade 3-5 intervention teacher right now.

8. missalli

missalli Companion

Nov 8, 2008

Oh, I have my own room and everything. I pull from the 3 different 4th grade classes -- 9 from one, 5 from another, 10 from the last... something like that.

The school keeps talking and talking and talking about getting either reading counts or accel. reader but no one is actually doing anything about it. Anyway, I only have one computer in the classroom so even if I did have one of those it would be hard to do anything. But a read-a-thon where they track their minutes over the course of a couple weeks seemed like a decent way to get them more focused on reading. I wanted to track minutes rather than books or pages because these kids are at all different levels.