Classroom Questions

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Starting_Over, May 14, 2006.

1. Starting_Over

Starting_Over Rookie

May 14, 2006

Hi:)

I saw a neat threat in another folder, and some of the members uploaded pictures of their classrooms to share ideas. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to do that here.

I would be interested to see how different Special Education classrooms are set up. What would the common theme be, since we would be helping them in all subjects, right? I mean, do you have different displays and resources for different subjects in different parts of the room? Or is there so much Co-teaching that goes on with Special Ed. that you don't get your own classroom anyway?

Just curious:confused:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2006

I'm curious about this as well as I will be setting up a Special Ed Resource room for the first time next year. I'll have students from grades 4-8 for Math and Language.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 15, 2006

Ugg! At the end of the school year?!! I would take a picture of my room but I am busy packing up. I have my 2nd graders sitting at desks facing the whiteboard and I have my 1st graders sitting behind them, so that I could move their desks easily when I do small groups. There is room for teachers to walk between their desks.

My kindergarteners sit at a kidney shaped table and I have a teacher chair in the middle.

I have a circle time carpet like all kindergarten classes (it faces the calender/weather chart...).

I have a study carrel in one corner for students who need to work independently or for time out.

My toy shelves are on wheels and I only open then for free center time (out of sight/out of mind).

I work with autistic children, so I have all of my open shelves facing their learning area cover with fabric. I lift up the fabric when they are allowed to use the material in it. I have a number and alphabet line, along with a word wall.

I'll take pictures in June after I change classrooms (before my students get at it:).)

5. jhamm57

jhamm57 Rookie

May 16, 2006

I think this is a great idea! I will be getting a regular sized classroom next year! After years of working in portable buildings (which they have finally removed and built new classrooms), I am SOOOO excited to finally have a full sized room. This one has been totally remodeled!!!! The principal offered it to me because he will have some extra classrooms. Does anyone know of a website where you can go to draw a floor plan of your room, and place furniture in it? I have been looking, but am having a hard time finding anything.
    Thanks so much!

6. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 18, 2006

Thats an EXCELLENT idea for children with autism. I want to work with children with autism in a classroom setting as well. This is really the only type of classroom I want to be in. The fabric idea is great as well as the study carrel! Thanks for bringing your ideas to the surface!
    Amy