Classroom purchases for next year?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

I made a list today of the things I would still like to purchase for my classroom this summer. Some of the things on my list:
    -Wicker baskets for my daily teaching materials
    -Bulletin board fabric and trimmers. I usually don't change this from year-to-year, but since I moved classrooms, I'm taking the opportunity to change things up a bit!
    -A variety of things from Really Good Stuff
    -"Top Dog" trophies from Oriental Trading (school-wide, we're doing Top Dog instead of Star Student)
    -A rain gutter to make a shelf for my listening center
    -Scrapbook paper to make new pennants
    -Spray paint for a few projects

I placed a VistaPrint order yesterday, so I could cross one thing off my list. Good thing I have a 2nd job in the summer! ;)

What are some things on your list?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I'm trying to be good and to find things to reuse. I will probably buy a new border set for my bulletin board outside my room to go with my rockets theme. Maybe some rocket-ish items. And my magnets from vista print. Other than that, I'm trying to be good...but that doesn't usually happen! :lol:

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 3, 2013

I just went to lakeshore today and bought:

-color coordinated borders
    - new calendar
    - letters that match my borders
    -name plates
    -various classroom posters

I am moving rooms so I figured I would set this one up with new stuff. I'm excited to get it all put up!

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

Ooooo, fun! :)

It seems like I buy less and less each year. I'm kind of getting everything on my wish list this summer, since I am getting married in September. Next summer we will have joint checking accounts, and I will not be able to spend like I do now. ;)

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

I'm going into my second year and I'll be in a brand new classroom in a brand new school, so I kind of have a lot, though not as much as last year when I built an entire classroom library (I have well over 1,000 books now) from scratch.

I am placing a Really Good Stuff order in the next couple days for book boxes (magazine files), a table top easel, supply caddies, and possibly take home book bags.

I'll be buying fadeless bulletin board paper and borders.

I'm also getting some more baskets for my library, because I don't have enough. I got nice black sterilite ones in the Target college section last year, so I'm just waiting for the college stuff to come out and hoping they will have black again, or at least something I can use...

I'll be buying some other little things in the back to school sales, but those are the big things.

Edit: Ok, let's be honest, I'll probably end up buying more books too. I actually did already go to the Scholastic Warehouse sale last month...:blush:

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 3, 2013

Mainly consumable supplies for student use (glue, highlighters, folders, etc.)

I will also be buying some of the materials I will use for hands-on science projects throughout the year.

I get $150 to spend from the school/PTO. It should cover most of what I need. I did buy a bunch of Scholastic ebooks when they were on sale for $1 each in June that I won't get reimbursed for.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I have a bulletin board for the first time ever, so I need to buy border at least.

I want to get a class set of materials for everyone (my max class size is 12) when it's on the penny sales, because it would be the same price for me to do that as to go out and buy the stuff when the kids don't bring it.

I might need some storage bins.

I really hope that's it. I really need classroom items like books and puzzles but I just can't keep spending money on school.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

Maybe a few baskets for book storage at Dollar Store. Will recover stool top with some fabric or oil cloth....no big expenditures.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 3, 2013

Same here. I'll purchase some Edmodo apps, I know. New room means new fabric for my BBs, and instead of border, I'm bordering my boards with New Orleans Saints Duct Tape, which I also already purchased. I bought most of my paint last week, so I'm pretty well ready for that, too. I'm considering purchasing some red, green, and purple pens for the kids to use when revising their writing. Lucky for me that I have lots of supplies left over from the past couple of years, because I have spent $$$ on PD books, especially Common Core this summer.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

I probably should look into Edmodo more carefully this summer. :) I've heard good things about it.

Might I ask what Edmodo apps are?

12. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2013

There are so many things I'd really like to purchase for next year. I'm trying really hard to be good this summer and not spend, spend, spend. We'll see how that works out come the end of July! ;)

I do want to purchase some small baskets for my students to use to keep track of their reading material. I've had my eye on these for a while.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I need some new bins to organize my math center- hopefully find some cheap ones at the dollar store.

I need to organize my borders and see if there's anything specific I need for bulletin boards, but I don't think I'll need much, I have a lot.

I need to get something decorative for the door to put the kids' names on. I had a NYC theme the past 2 years but my new co-teacher and I haven't decided if we're going to keep that yet or not. I had a bulletin board set with landmarks that I taped to the tables and used as table names. No matter what theme we end up going with I'll want to get a bulletin board set to do that with.

Can't think of much else other than office supplies, but I'm sure I'll find other stuff I "need" when I go to lakeshore.

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

Somewhat related - does anybody know when big box stores start with their BTS sales? I would not be surprised if they're not already clearing aisles.

I need to purchase some of those 25 cent composition books. :)

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

My teacher friend was at Target today and she said the boxes were out, but still packed. My guess is the day after 4th of July? Or at least this weekend. I really hope I'm right because I'm getting really impatient to shop! :D

16. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 4, 2013

I've been buying a lot this summer. It seems like I do every summer because my classroom changes with grade levels so much.

This fall I'm going to have at least five kinders. That's---unheard of for my room. So, I'm having to get stuff that is appropriate for younger learners. (Two years ago, I had mostly 2nd grade. Last year, mostly 1st and 2nd.)

17. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 4, 2013

I'm a first year teacher so there are many things that I will purchase, or have already purchased, for next school year. My husband is already telling me to watch what I'm spending.

This is a list of what I will be purchasing or have already purchased:
    - nonfiction books (I stocked up on books all throughout college but most are fiction)
    - tubs for the books for my library
    - bulletin board borders
    - fabric for bulletin boards
    - cardboard book boxes
    - a plethora of Post Its
    - stickers
    - label maker
    - pencil sharpener
    - rug (I bought an 8x10 trellis rug at Garden Ridge for $99!!!!)
    - use the printshop for ABC banner, name plates, schedule cards, table numbers, shape posters, and job chart
    - clothespins
    - pillows and bean bag chairs for my classroom library
    - teacher toolbox from Lowes
    - rocking chair (I bought one at Goodwill for $20)
    - small basket with hanging file folders to use as student mailboxes
    - printout of owls for front door decor
    - random school supplies (pencils, glue, scissors, etc)
    - certificates and pencils and for student birthdays
    - book cases for the classroom library

Oh dear... I just keep telling myself that this is my first year, and I won't spend as much the subsequent years... hopefully... :unsure:

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 4, 2013

A few thoughts.

Many things listed hear like calenders, name plates, book bins, etc. can be purchased from the Dollar Tree or Target's Dollar Section.

With fabric, just make sure you measure beforehand, and don't buy a pattern that needs to be hung in a certain direction because you may end up with sideways snowmen on your board like one of my colleagues this year.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2013

I'm getting married and will be moving several states away next summer (probably--we won't know exactly where we'll be going until May), so I am not buying anything! It's time to start using up my stockpiles...

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2013

Office Max and Staples have Teacher Appreciation Days here in August....it kills me to see school supplies in stores already...I've only been out for 2 weeks.:eek:

21. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 4, 2013

Thank you for the advice! I was able to pick up some things from the Dollar Spot at Target. I just keep telling myself that for my budget's sake to not be so picky.

22. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 4, 2013

Ooo I'll definitely have to keep an eye out on those sales.

You get out fairly late. When do you start? My district got out the last day of May, but we start August 12. Since I'm a new teacher, I have meetings that start as soon as July 22!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2013

We go back right after Labor Day and get out around June 20.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 4, 2013

Yellowdaisies, that's incredible that you have a 1,000 book library built in one year from scratch! That's great for your kiddos.

Czacza, even though I got out May 31, I saw school supplies in the impulse section at Fry's and my stomach sank. I always look forward to a new year, but in June, I don't want to think about penny pencil sales!

The one think I need is 600 base-10 unit blocks. I organized my base-10 blocks into little kits for pairs of kids but didn't have enough unit blocks. Those ones get lost so easily - I know I had plenty 5 years ago!

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 4, 2013

I've been out for 5 days and I'm excited for back to school sales...:lol:...I think I'm nuts. Really, it's because we are moving to a brand new building so I'm very excited about my BRAND new classroom.

Mrs. Giggles, I was a first year teacher last year so I want to try to help you out of I can...

This is a list of what I will be purchasing or have already purchased:
    - nonfiction books (I stocked up on books all throughout college but most are fiction) Last year, I got quite a few lots of books on Ebay. That might be something to consider. I don't know what grade you're teaching, but try searching "nonfiction readers lot" or something like that.
    - tubs for the books for my library I got sterilite stacking baskets at Target in the college section last year for $3 each. They add up quickly (I got 24 of them so...and I need more this year) but they are VERY strong and heavy duty. I love them! I know you can get cheaper baskets, but these will last me for years.
    - cardboard book boxes IKEA!!!! They are so cheap there! $2 for 5! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50022354/
    - use the printshop for ABC banner, name plates, schedule cards, table numbers, shape posters, and job chart Here's an idea for table numbers: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70223653/
    - pillows and bean bag chairs for my classroom library Walmart is an option for these, but, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record here...IKEA! I have four big pillows in my library with removable pillow cases in bright colors. The pillow cases were about $6 each I think, and I can't remember how much the pillows were, but it's under $15.
    - small basket with hanging file folders to use as student mailboxes Maybe a crate? That's a good idea!
    - book cases for the classroom library (They won't provide any of these?)

Thanks! :D

26. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 4, 2013

Thank you for all of these great ideas! I'll be teaching second grade. The closest IKEA is unfortunately four hours away from me, but I will have to search online and see if I can justify the shipping cost. :)

My school does provide a few book cases, but I will be using these to store my resource books, binders, and guided reading materials. I've been looking at Goodwill, and they seem to have some very inexpensive furniture that I can purchase.

That's a great idea with Ebay, and I had never thought about that. This will hopefully save me quite a bit of money as I do want to have a rather large collection of nonfiction books.

27. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

I usually have a long list of things on my wish list...

This year, I can't really think of anything imperative. I really would like more Vistaprint brochures, but I won't pay for them, so they'll wait.

I might order the storage boxes for bulletin board border. I have tons of it, and it is crammed into a box so it's just a mess. I've always wanted some way to store it neatly, without rolling it up. I also might order some common core stuff, ready made.

I want some resource books as well. I'd forgotten about that. I think I want to go shopping :D

I already bought The Math Toolkit for Common Core...excited to use it!

28. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 4, 2013

My continued goal is to edit as in delete things from my classroom. I don't want to spend hours and hours dismantling or setting up a room. I found out that when its time to move or be ready it doesn't matter how well you are equipped. If anything, it makes you look bad -- I.e disorganized, lacking in time mgmnt, off schedule, etc. so I don't want to be that person. I want quick and easy. In my school environment it's discouraged -- at least is what the inference is.

So this year it basically will be just a few items like a stapler and dry erase markers. The other thing will be spray paint to paint a small bench. Nothing exciting.

I did change my theme last year so Ill keep the same this year.

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 4, 2013

I'm sorry - as I was writing that post I was worried that you didn't live near an Ikea! :eek:

Really Good Stuff has these magazine files: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/magazine-holders/p/156245/

Congratulations on the job and have fun setting everything up this summer! It's very exciting!! :) :)

30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2013

What do you think of it now that you have it? I'm leary of buying it sight unseen. Thanks.

31. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 4, 2013

I am still on the hunt for new baskets for classroom books. Ugh, it's becoming a bit of a frustration! Other than that I plan on purchasing a new calendar bulletin board set and some cupcake fabric to put around my small group table.

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 4, 2013

There are usually magazine files in the $1 spot at Target. Keep your eyes peeled - I got great ones 2 years ago and they are still going strong!

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 4, 2013

I really don't need very many items this year ( for a change ) I bought a new stapler since they seem to disappear so often.
    I need some new book boxes ( usually use the ones at Target for $2.50) since i haven't had to buy any for the past couple of years but had some breakage this past year and need to replace a few.
    Since I could have up to 30 students need a couple of shelves to hold their book boxes (normally stored them under the activBoard but am afraid that with that many someone might get hurt)
    Shelf to hold their interactive notebooks since they will have language arts, math, science/health, social studies and writing. They will also have organizational binders that will need to be put somewhere and I'm not sure they will go in the desks with everything else they need in there.

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2013

I purchased my magazine files on clearance at Office Depot - you might check there. I second (third, fourth, whatever) the notion that Dollar Tree is the place to get book boxes (among other things).

35. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

Just bought...

-A super cheap (and super nice) desk chair! I was sitting on a cheap Target one last year. This one is all plush and lovely...it will make staying at school until 6pm much more enjoyable!

-A box of misprinted pencils (for the kiddos who forget their own) and a box of "Welcome to Our Class" pencils to give out on the first day.

-A small metal mailbox for students to leave me notes about various issues they may be having. I find that teens are more willing to divulge their personal drama in writing rather than walking up to me and telling me.

36. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

Where did you get the misprinted pencils? Thanks.

37. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

I love it!

I'm very excited to use it. I emailed the author to try to get a site with sample pages to share and continue to wait for more information. I shared the link to a to z in the email, and she read the rules about not posting about her own work. She did say that the site to purchase it previously had a video, and she has requested it be put back online. I'll update if I get any more feedback.

Otherwise, I'll share some things, and hope that it isn't infringing on copyright. I purchased the 4th grade book. It includes an overview and focus for the grade. The next part is color coded flowcharts with all of the standards presented in order of prerequisite skill(s) needed. There are pretests for each topic, divided into units then color coded student monitoring sheets with a column for each topic (4.MD.5) so you can easily see which students mastered that skill according to the pretest, which are making progress, and which are not. This would be a quick look for students needing intervention in specific areas. She provided scaffolding staircases (also color coded) to visually see how each standard builds upon a prerequisite. There is a unit planning model and suggested activities for each standard. Finally there are a few references included and a sample curriculum map for each quarter.

I hope this helps a little.

38. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

It does help. You say it has preassessments, does it have actual assessments? Just curious.

I'm also a 4th grade teacher, and was just wondering. Thanks in advance.

39. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

Yes it does. There is a multiplication fluency timed pretest because multiplication fluency is prerequisite for several standards. Then The Number and Operations Part A Unit Pretest has 6 questions, Part B also has 6 questions, Part C has 10 questions. Fractions Part A has 9questions, Part B has 6, Part C has 2, then a line plot. Measurement, Data and Patterns has 2 questions, Geometric Measurements has 12 questions. All color-coded to match the flowcharts, scaffolding staircases, and student monitoring sheets. Each question also has the standard indicated (4G1).

The only drawback that I can see (now that you've got me really looking at it :) ) is that there aren't any answers provided to the pretests or the lesson activities.

40. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 5, 2013

Just a word of caution about rocket-ish items. My friend & co-worker purchased rocket shaped cutouts from Dollar Tree last year. I offered to help her laminate them, and in doing so I noticed that they looked less like rockets and more like a certain male body part... :eek:

41. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 5, 2013

Another option that may be available for books are your local libraries! Last summer, going into my first year, I spent about $100-$200 on books for my classroom. One month into the school year I realized a local library has amazing book sales. Now I just go there whenever I want some more books. They put out new books twice a week, and have huge sales 3 times a year. The books range from ten cents to $1.25. I introduced myself to the woman who organizes the sales and she let me into their storage room to shop. I came out with about 100 books for $7, and about 75% of them she gave me for FREE just to get rid of them since they had been there a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.