Classroom procedure question

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Zanadu, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 21, 2007

I started subbing this year and have received mostly one day assignments. In Feb. I'm scheduled for a four day assignment. I've taken the time to observe the class I'll be subbing. One thing that I have noticed is that many teachers (this one included) will ask the class a question and generally the same small group of students raise their hands to answer. I was thinking about putting the students names on Popsicle sticks and using those instead so everyone gets the opportunity to answer rather than the "eager beavers". However, this is a change in the teachers procedure. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Does anyone have any advice? This also leads to another question. It has been implied that this will be the same teacher I will do my student teaching under. When you student teach do you follow the CTs class procedures and rules or can you create new ones? It seems this may be confusing for the students but how else do you practice for your future class?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

I'm not a sub, but I will address the "who to call on" question.

I teach math. At any given time, I cna assume that some of the kids are confused. As a result, I'll rarely call on a student who doesn't have his or her hand up when I've asked a question. (Unless, of course, someone is chatting or something and I'm trying to make a point.) Occasionally I'll go around the room and drill (times tables, integer operations, etc), but for the most part I tend to call on the kids who think they know the answers.

Other times, though, kids are asking questions. Then I'm more likely to target the quieter kids.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 21, 2007

I personally don't think that's a huge enough change to cause a problem when you are subbing as long as you let them know ahead of time what you are doing. As far as student teaching, I don't know the answer to that one yet.

5. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jan 21, 2007

I have subbed in rooms that used the popsicle sticks and it works very well for reading out loud, etc. but I agree with the previous poster that there are times when it wouldn't be effective. I wouldn't think this is too big a change. When I sub I try to keep most rules the same but in the end I am the teacher that day so if I am not comfortable with it I change it. The other day I was subbing in third grade and a student started eating and I told her to put it away and she said the teacher lets them anytime they want if it is healthy. Before I could even reply to that another student spoke up and said "She is the teacher today." :)

As for student teaching, it has been a few years, but I do remember my co-op giving me free rein during the last few weeks when she let me take over (she actually got married and was on her honeymoon and I got control with a sub there to watch. It was great!) Up 'til then though I did things her way.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 21, 2007

When I was student teaching, my cooperating teachers encouraged me to try different techniques than what they were doing. When I expressed concern to one of them about student confusion, she pointed out that when you sign up to have a student teacher, you agree to things being disrupted a little bit, and you accept that it may take some time to get back into your routines when the student teacher leaves. If I was going to change their classroom routines, I usually discussed it with them ahead of time, but they always said go for it. A few times, it even ended up being something they kept doing for themselves once I was done student teaching.

I use popscicle sticks in my room, but not all the time. It just depends on what we are doing. Also, I don't feel bound by them. If I am using them and someone starts getting off task, I'll call on that student instead of the stick I have in my hand.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

I try not to ask a majority of 'knowledge' level questions- Try pushing them into higher order thinking when possible. You can use a 'turn and talk' technique so kids can discuss a response with a partner and then share their combined response. This talk time usually results in deeper, more thought-out answers.
    The stick idea is a good one to ensure that you are not calling on the same people all the time. Just make sure that you get to KNOW the class first- some kids get embarrassed if called on when they don't know the answer.

8. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jan 21, 2007

I have been subbing for a couple of years, and I always start the day by introducing myself and explaining that I will try and do as much as possible just like the teacher, but that there are some things that will be a little different (and that it is ok). I don't make any major changes, of course, and I don't think the popsicle sticks would be a major change. There are some occassions when it might be useful.

I'll be student teaching next semester, and I've been wondering the same thing as you. I've been told that it really just depends on the teacher... We'll see! :)

9. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the advice. I won't use them for questioning. I think I'll still use them to help decide who gets to go on the computers first and bring my timer. Computer time seems like a game of musical chairs.
    I'll also keep in mind what others experienced with student teaching. As I've been observing and subbing I've been keeping a notebook of things I want to try and things I don't like. But I've been curious how that effects the students and whether the teacher actually lets you change things. The teacher has invited me to observe/aid anytime. I intend to take him up on it. Maybe if we build up a good rapport before...

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

I would not change the routine at all. You don't want to upset the classroom teacher if you are going to be in her room as a ST.
    Follow her lesson plans and rules as best you can.