Classroom prep

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jul 30, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

It was overcast this morning so I went to school with the plan of unpacking my budget order...turns out the custodians were just starting to wax my hallway floor and had sealed all classroom doors to keep the wax from trickling into the rooms...after talking with one of the custodians, he offered to unseal my door and let me in to work until they got to my part of the hallway! :thumb: when I got inside, I found out they also had painted my classroom this summer! YIPEE!:celebrate:
    On my way out, I popped in the office. The secretary was typing up class lists...she let me take a 'sneak peak' at mine...:D

Pays to develop good relationships with the custodians and secretaries...in so many ways, they run the school.:thumb:

Any good surprises on your return to school?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

My mom was a teacher and the first advise she gave me was to make sure that you are friends with the custodians and the secretary because they can make your life a lot easier. I gave the same advice to my daughter last year when she started her first year teaching. I am also excited because my classroom was also painted. I will post pictures later!

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

SO true about building good relationships with custodians and secretaries. I can't even tell you how many times they helped me out in the past two years at my CC... unlocked offices and professor mailboxes, expediting paperwork, inter-campus mailing, etc.

Definitely one of the smartest things a person can do!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Haven't been back yet, but I will start tomorrow by going on a trip with the new teachers to the school. I hear the classroom I am getting still has a bunch of things in it. I'm not sure if that means the teacher who was in there decided to stay (which means I have no idea which classroom I will get), or she just hasn't been able to move her things yet. I hope to find out this week.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I'm still a few weeks from going in, but I know to email the caretakers a couple of days before to be sure I can have access to my rooms. In the email, I'll ask how many coffees to bring with me (it's always hard to know how many are working on any given day because of vacation time). There are a handful of teachers who will just show up and expect to get in, but that's not the way it works in my building.

None of the rooms will be painted, but I am always amazed by how wonderful the school looks when we get back--especially the floors!

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

Yes..always be nice to the secretaries! The secretary at my former school set me up with my boyfriend 2 years ago :D

Before I left on the last day, I left the custodian a note about various furniture that was delivered and I needed assembled. I mentioned a date next week I knew I wanted to come in on and would like to have the furniture set up. My room was the "junk" room for years, so in addition to my requests it needed heavy duty cleaning & painting this summer. I'd like to go in earlier to start bringing my stuff in, but I feel bad because I mentioned a specific date & don't want to be frustrated if nothing is done before then.

So I'll go in next week on the date I mentioned. My room was supposed to be top priority, but I know things come up all the time. My friend is going in earlier in the week, so I'm going to ask her to peek in & see what's been done. I'll go in with my BF & most of my things next week, and then again the next day to start unpacking & set up.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Sounds great, czacza.

I haven't been in to school for a few weeks, so I have no idea what's in store. I'm volunteering at new teacher orientation a few days before school starts, so that's probably the first time I'll go in.

Then again, I won't have a homeroom, so there's not much that has to get done beyond some Xeroxing for NHS.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Yeah for a freshly painted room!

I came in and found a very nice, 4 tier book shelf in my room, with doors that cover the bottom two shelves! I was very happy. :) Right before summer break, I had asked my secretary to keep an eye out for a nice shelf in our district warehouse, and she did!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I haven't gone in yet, but I'm thinking that I will head in later this week or next week. I was moved to a different classroom, so I need to get it unpacked and arranged, and I know that will take me a while. I'm sorry to see my summer come to an end....

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

One of my coworkers said she stopped in and found that they had taken EVERYTHING off of her walls (usually we leave it up unless they tell us otherwise). She said stuff was all stuck together - they didn't bother to take the tape off or anything. I am really hoping that's not what I find when I stop in.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

We can't get in until pre service (construction) so that week before the kids come in will be some long days! I'm in a new room and a new grade level and we had to take everything home for the summer. I have bought so much this summer that it's going to take several BIG car trips to get everything back there.

13. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

They painted our whole school! It's nice to have a fresh coat of paint to liven things up! I went in a couple of days last week. My room is mostly set up and decorated! I start back officially Wed.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I need to start going back in...I'm thinking if I can do one day each week starting next week, then I can enjoy more time with my son at the very end of the summer. Luckily, I have 2 days off in September for the Jewish holidays. :) Extra mommy and Nicholas time.

No real nice surprises when I stopped by my room other than everything being put back fairly correctly...and hearing about the woes of trying to find people to replace everyone who retired or left.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

Our office opens officially on the eighth, so I know I'll be able to have my building unlocked then, but my mind is getting back into teaching gear.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2012

Eh, nothing really spectacular. We had a 12 week summer vacation, but my room didn't get stripped and waxed like usual. It was just scrubbed and waxed once. They did clean the walls, although it ruined some of my posters in the process. We weren't told to take them down. One of the custodians rarely shows up for work. I can't understand how he's kept his job. The women are great, and the other guy is decent when he's not ticked at the other guy.

The other custodian helped me put together a heavy shelf. I had it mostly done, but I wasn't strong enough to put it together. Also got notice that I wasn't allowed to have my fridge anymore. The principal carried it to my vehicle for me.

My room went together fast this year.