Classroom pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Apr 23, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

I was wondering if anyone would be game for starting a classroom pictures thread. I was looking at an archived one and there were great ideas; however, many links to photos no longer worked!

I know it's not even the end of this year, but we start the first week of August and I feel I need to start getting my act together!

If you're interested, post away! I'll add some soon. :)

3. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

Eiffel,
    Your address doesn't open.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Apr 26, 2009

I would love to do this! This is a great thread idea! I'll take pictures and post soon.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 26, 2009

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 26, 2009

Pigeon - I love your classroom! So neat and roomy!!

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Apr 26, 2009

Driving - great room! This is a Kindergarten class? No housekeeping, blocks, science, manipulatives or art centers? Do you begin the year with any of these and then change out or not have them at all?

9. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Apr 26, 2009

I love your room, Pigeon! It looks so open...you did an excellent job arranging your space!
    What are the dimensions of your room?

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 26, 2009

Thanks, everyone! I'm not sure what the dimensions are. It's about half the size of the other kindergarten rooms, though.

I have blocks on the shelf in front of my desk, along with puzzles and games. My classroom didn't have anything in it besides furniture, and it's my first year teaching, so I couldn't afford a whole lot of toys (I spent around $1500 getting it ready). There are two tubs of wood blocks, as well as legos. There is a bin containing animals, people, and other things that can be used with the blocks for dramatic play.

The 20 cubbies by my door contain math and science manipulatives, as well as small block-type toys.

The writing center contains art supplies, such as construction paper, scissors, glue, foam shapes and letters, stencils, stamps, and different writing/coloring tools. They are all in the white storage drawers. I frequently rotate these materials and add pom-poms, feathers, pipe cleaners, etc. I have 21 students who LOVE this center so I can't keep a lot of stuff out. They go through it so quickly and I was spending so much money on materials.

I had a housekeeping center in the beginning of the year, but none of my kids played with it. I actually spent a lot of money on the toys, too, and I would rotate them frequently. It just wasn't a hot spot. I wouldn't really have room for it now, anyway, because they added computers and a smart board to my room, which changed my entire arrangement. I also added a listening center and made my classroom library larger. I have some dramatic play materials out, though, like a cash register and toy food.

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

Very nice room! It is very well organized! I see you have a large class... About how big is your room? I'm trying to get ideas for room set up for next year and I have a big class (29 first graders) in what I feel is a small room (24'x29').

Also, the black papers with the stars on them... are those for displaying student work?

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

I love your room! You have it well laid out. I like how you have the rug in the middle of the room, and the tables around it. I might try that for next year, as right now the rug is near my guided reading table. The kids bring center materials to the rug and even though they're working quietly, it's still too noisy for the kids at the table with me.

I'm curious to know how big it is too!

13. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

I can't post links yet because I'm a new member, but Jamie fixed my link.

snickydog: I'm not sure how big my room is (it seems small), but I currently have 28 students. The black papers with the stars on them is for students to display an assignment of choice. I'll try and take some photos of my room this week so you that you can see how it looks with the bulletin boards having student work on them.

14. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 26, 2009

Thank you! I pretty much had to do it that way when I got my Smart board about a month ago. I needed them to see it well from the carpet and from their table spots.

I just measured my room, and it's about 32 X 26.

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

I have a horseshoe table that I use to meet with small groups. I'm pretty sure it's in the pictures. If not, I'll see if I can find a picture with it.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

I am thinking about posting pics of my room on here. I don't really like how it is laid out right now, and I would love advice for next year. Would anyone mind it if I did that?

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

I'd love to see them! I'll do the same. :)