"Classroom Pictures" Returns

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=18345&highlight=classroom+pictures

I don't know if any of you are like me, but as the year is wrapping up I'm staying up late on a Friday night thinking about how I'm going to change my furniture around this summer.... okay maybe that's just me? hehe. I am "reviving" this archived thread because people have posted a bunch of amazing ideas. I have spent the last hour or so looking back at them! Now I must sleep, but if any of you have any updated pictures or ideas, or want to share how you are going to change your room next year, please do so!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2007

I was looking through the pictures and in Mrs. Wright's classroom tour pictures I found the answer to a major problem I've been having. My construction papers are a mess in my class and I haven't found the best solution for them. Well, Mrs. Wright uses a large rolling storage cart to store her construction paper. What a good idea. I wonder where I can find that? Maybe at Staples?

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

Peachyness, I'm not sure what you mean. I can't find it in her pictures. But I am wondering the same thing. I want my construction paper (or at least some of it) available to the kids. Right now it's in my storage cabinet. But I want the kids to be able to get it when they need it, but neatly. :)

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, you're not the only one. I moved to a new classroom this year and never really got it where I want it. So I'm thinking ahead to next year even though we still have 6 weeks of school left.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

7. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Apr 28, 2007

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

Hmmm that looks nice. I may have seen some wider ones like that at Super Wal-Mart. Would you have the kids go in there and get contruction paper if needed? I've got all my supplies in my storage cabinet and it would be nice to have them on shelves or in bins like that so the kids could grab them instead of me!

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2007

After I checked the first link, I found the one that you posted Miss Kirby. I think that one is wider. I have a ton of the 18x24 and the smaller 9x12. I would like it organized so that the kids can get the paper on their own AND so that it's not a huge catastrophe. I spent about an hour just cleaning up my paper shelf. It was horrible. I have the 7 drawer one in my bedroom. I think I'll clean that out and take it to work to store the smaller paper.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 28, 2007

I saw one person's website use this idea to put lesson plans in. She labeled each drawer per book, unit or whatever and then dropped the lesson plan in. How many of us never get around to filing, etc.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2007

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 28, 2007

Miss Kirby, you are not alone. I love to think about how to rearrange my room. I have also been thinking of other things I hope to do differently next year, besides room arrangement. Do you spend time over the summer looking for great ideas on line, too? And doing lots of little extras so they'll be done by September?

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

Last summer I was getting ready for my first whole year of teaching (I was interim the semester before). I didn't teach summer school or anything so I just went to a lot of trainings and spent a lot of time getting ready for school! This summer I hope to change a lot of things, same as you, so many other things besides furniture. I need to start making a list... But this summer I will have more on my plate.... two graduate classes and teaching summer school!

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2007

I do that for my copies each week :) It helps me!

I observed a teacher once who kept a rubbermade tub for each month of the year. She kept everything she knew she would need for that month in it (ex calendar, supplies, lessons etc) She had a storage closet to make that possible.

I got new cabinets this year, and am really looking forward to having the old ones ripped out. I am going to really re-work my room & make it more student friendly (well, people tell me mine is already, but I think there is always room for improvement.).

16. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 30, 2007

The literature organizers with all the different sections are just the right size for regular size construction paper. I haven't found anything good for the large paper yet. Another thing that works is the stacking paper trays made for "in" "out" papers on your desk - just stack as many as needed for the different colors of paper.

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 30, 2007

forkids, I do that too. In my storage cabinet, I have one shelf for contruction paper and sentence strips, then the next shelf is for colored paper and cardstock. I have a bunch of stacking trays for each color (or sometimes two colors). It helps keep it organized! My contruction paper shelf... now that's another story...

18. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

That is an awesome room, but we don't get enough money at my school to buy all those storage bins and stuff. I'd be broke if I bought all that stuff.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 1, 2007

I've had to purchase all of my storage bins. I've gotten them cheap at the dollar tree store and at Big Lots. I've also gotten quite a few from retiring teachers. Yes, they are somewhat of a mishmash, but whatever keeps my room organized. Our school doesn't have enough money also.

20. nic7692

nic7692 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

21. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

for those of you that are trying to organize books and don't want to spend a lot of time/money looking for matching baskets:
    talk to your co-workers/office staff and see if your school/district supplier has SKILL BOXES. These boxes are perfect for organizing paper (if stored horizontally) or storing books by genre/author (vertically). I used them religiously in 1st, 2nd and 5th grades, just in different ways. You can even give one per student for their browsing box or folder storage. I kept several to store materials by subject and to organize books/folders for guided reading groups.

here i used skill boxes to organize my 2nd grade picture books by subject in English & Spanish:
    http://www.aquemarropa.com/images/fupload/skillboxes.jpg

22. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I am looking for pictures of a 5th grade classroom. I am moving from Pre-K and don't really know where to begin. I was told that I would have at least 25 students and my classroom is inclusive. I am the only one at my school teaching 5th, so I have no one to get ideas from. I have seen some wonderful pics, but my desks are the all in one metal time that open on one side, thus limiting the ways that I can arrange my room. I only have one month to get it together and I have a principal who is waiting for me to fail, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

23. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

4myclass: some things to consider are your classroom library, guided reading area (some people are sticklers for kidney tables), computer area, and materials storage. i had those pesky metal/open-on-one-side desks for my 25 kiddos and arranging them was a PAIN... i had some groups of four and some groups of 5/6 in order to accommodate all my kids' different behaviors and personalities (i also had 9 inclusion kids in my room). when the inclusion kids were gone, we consolidated the groups to three tables in the middle of the room, so that may be another idea for you to think about. i moved from 1st/2nd to 5th mid-year.. i'm sure you'll be great as long as you have a plan and use resources and friends to support you! i think primary teachers moving to intermediate have a lot to offer the older students!

24. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

Wow!!! And I thought I was organized....now I realize - I'm not. :rolleyes:

I just moved from AZ to CA and I saw my new classroom. It's in an old private school. Needless to say it needs a lot of work. I can't get in until August 1 but you better believe I'll be there THAT DAY trying to get things done.

I promise to take before and after pictures. However, the thought of all the work I have before me makes me want to cry a little. :eek:

Oh well - I'm a slave to my job and I love it. :D

25. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I still have some of my pictures from my old school up on my website. I taught 5th grade there....maybe you'll get some ideas.

http://www.msjensenclass.com/ClassPictures/classroom_pictures.htm

My new room I don't have any of that storage - I miss it already.

Just a thought - check out the 4th grade and even 3rd grade classrooms at your school. Get ideas from there and use what will work for you and get rid of what won't.

26. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

:) Thank you noreenk and katenar. I bought 300+ AR books already. Today I bought some cute colored baskets from Dollar Tree to sort them into (still not quite sure how to do that). My room is very tiny and I'm still not quite sure how I am going to fit 25+ students into the room (I was told that if more than 30 show up, they will hire another teacher, you watch, I'll have 29 all year).
    I love all the pictures of classrooms. They all seem so organized and I feel totally disorganized.
    Mardels is having a teacher sale on July 19, what posters, etc. would you (5th grade teachers) get? Right now the walls are barren and very grey. The school requires that any shelving I bring in be painted grey :p. I have got to get some color into the room and I know that there are great learning posters and wall sets out there. I just don't know yet exactly what I am supposed to be teaching (I was only able to find a couple of the teacher's manuals).
    As I have stated before, I can use all the help I can get. I did get the number for the former 5th grade teacher, but she is on vacation until August.

27. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I would only get one or two "decorative" posters that really strike a chord with you. Otherwise, save your wall space for meaningful tools and resources. For example, find resources that have to do with things you'll be studying. Math resources are always great for the students to refer too. Especially place value - for some reason my 5th graders had a hard time with that but the wall posters helped.

Check out some of these to give you an idea.

http://www.teachingstuff.com/browse.cfm/4,14964.htm
    http://www.teachingstuff.com/browse.cfm/4,14995.htm
    http://www.teachingstuff.com/browse.cfm/4,16352.htm
    http://www.teachingstuff.com/browse.cfm/4,5893.htm
    http://www.teachingstuff.com/browse.cfm/4,1788.htm

Hope this helps.

28. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

katenar, I especially like the genre wall set. Thanks, you have been very helpful.

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

I think I have every poster applicable to 5th grade that has ever been produced. :rolleyes: I can't resist a sale. I don't like random posters all over the place, especially in a small room (mine is). I grouped math posters in one area, social studies (explorers, timelines of early U.S. history are good, maps), reading/writing in another. My kids didn't consult them as much as I would have liked. I had pull down world and U.S. maps that I loved. I didn't teach science.

The way you use posters in 5th is really no different from other elementary grades. You'll still want something on your door and outside your room, motivational and content area things on the walls, some decorative items in the room, a calendar and schedule, seasonal things. Window clings stick nicely to a white board as well as windows. I did put up something small for birthdays.

The grey sounds icky, but bright yellow and red will show up nicely against it. Cover your BB in one of those colors and it will pop.

30. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 12, 2007

peachyness I purchased a 3 drawer storage unit simular to Mrs. Wrights' I found it at Wal-Mart

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I have this to store my reading students' folders and notebooks. They just take the drawer out and bring it to their groups because each drawer has a cover. Even fourth graders think that set of drawers is AMAZING. :)

32. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I kept the lids on, but it worked! It's GREAT for guided reading, I agree! :cool: