Classroom Pictures!!!! Finally!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Ok, it's pretty much done!! We did a grand tour for my student's parents this afternoon, and we all carried yardsticks and sang as we marched around the room and celebrated. It was fabulous.

Anyhow, check them out. I have descriptions under the pictures if you are curious about the use of any of the area.

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/Jem_016/classroom creations/

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 21, 2009

All I can say is, WOW! For 1 student?!?!?! WOW!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

WOW! I'm impressed. I know it was a little bit of a challenge converting this type of room into a classroom. You did a great job. :thumb: I like the baskets that you used for the books. Did you get those at Target?

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Fabulous!!! I bet you both have fun in that wonderful space. What did the parents think of it?

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

That is like a dream room, and I can't believe it's for one student! Your student is INCREDIBLY lucky!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

It's pretty awesome! You've taken a basement and turned it into a classroom. I envy your student, AND your energy. Nicely done!

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 21, 2009

That makes me want to go back to 5th grade, and have you for a teacher! Lucky girl!

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

Yay Jem!! You did a fantastic job! I know the parents loved it as much as your student! Now you can sit back, relax, and just teach with out having to worry about her trying to fall asleep with the dog on the bed!!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2009

You're ultra-creative, and you make me sick. ;) Just kidding, Jem. I love it!!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2009

BTW- I have the book One Million Things!! The kids LOVED that book last year when I purchased it. I was also curious about the Success for Girls (or whatever it is called) website.

Sad to say, the Vanessa I have in my class will have to share with everyone else!!!! :lol:

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

It is so awesome so I guess I can forgive you for not being here as often as you used to be. I know you worked hard to pull it all together and it is truly incredible.

13. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Wow - you did an amazing job. Can I ask, is this for a homeschooling a student? I don't get the only one kid thing. :)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

Yay! I love it, and I know the parents did too!

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

Yep-it's a homeschooling situation. Thanks for the kudos, guys! I love doing this type of stuff. The internet is back up at the house, so I'll be back on the boards again. I had to stay down there for two nights and three days this week while her parents were out of town, so it was an isolated week.

16. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

It looks awesome Jem.

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

wow, that is totally amazing!

Want to come to NJ for a week? LOL

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

I love the way it turned out!!! NICE!!!!

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2009

Hey, Jem,
    Are those parents looking to adopt a public classroom??????
    LOL

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

Haha, Nana. I actually haven't charged them for anything you see yet. I have a stack of receipts, and I'm going to figure out exactly what I want reimbursed. I hate the thought of not being able to take some of that stuff with me, so I might just eat the cost and call it mine. It was the first year dh wasn't breathing fire over my purchases, because I kept saying 'Oh, they'll pay me back....'. ;) And many, many of the items were obtained through freecycle-the lightbox table, the stained glass butterfly lamp, the frames were $3 on Craigslist, the wine box, the 'daily schedule' easel, etc. All the drawers were mine. The huge wipe-off board was free off freecycle. As was the lab coat. I did spend waaaaay too much on the scrapbooking stuff. I will say that.

21. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 22, 2009

Jem, it looks amazing!
    Great job!

What is freecycle?

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

www.freecycle.org.

It's a group of people in your local area that are on an e-mail ring through yahoo groups. Everyone sends out e-mails when they want to give something away, and then you see it and e-mail them if you want it. Obviously they can only pick one person for it, so you don't always get the stuff, but I find people love to give their items to a classroom. You can also request items that you need, which I do often. Because it's for a classroom, I can request as often as I want-people who want items for personal use are limited to 4 requests a month. I've gotten soooo much stuff for my classroom-books, a guitar, aquariums, craft supplies, fabric, pillows, mirrors, comfy chairs, stools, bookshelves, tables, etc. It's FABULOUS. I'm ALL about re-using and fixing things up!

23. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 22, 2009

Looks amazing Jem! I really love that board with the goals on them. I'm thinking with the new crazy schedules we have this year that having something like that for my students might be helpful. :)

24. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

WOW!!!!! It is absolutely inviting, neat, organized and engaging!!! FANTASTIC job!

25. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Jem--what are the pictures of at the end of the slide show, the paper on the hangers? Is that decoration or will you use it for something.

I like the glitter cans. Are those cans from food. Did you have a special can opener so they aren't jagged?

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I never get jagged edges on cans using a can opener- just the throw away lid part is sharp.

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

The pictures at the end are some I took while I made some of the classroom 'stuff'. The paper on the hanger will hold morning work cards-things she can do while she waits for me to get there. The cans will be filled with heavy rocks, set on the mantle of the fireplace area, and have ribbon tied around each of them. The paper on the hangers will hang from said ribbon. I'm still working on this project, which is why it's not in the pictures. I'll post on Monday when I get it up and ready. We were given a huge, useless packet of worksheets from her homeschool group that we HAVE to have done in 2 weeks, so that's her morning work at the moment.

She won't be touching the can at all, so I don't worry about the edges.