classroom phone

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Rabbitt, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2007

How do you handle your classroom phone?
    I am a little annoyed.
    We recently got a classroom phone.
    I do not answer it during instruction time.
    The irritating part is for some reason the phone does not blink to show that we have a voice mail. :confused: So if you do not check it, you do not know. Quite annoying.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2007

I do not answer my phone during instruction time.

There is a "caller id" of sorts on my phone that tells if it is from someone in the school- so if I am close and I see it's from another teacher or office, I answer.

I chose a student to be "in charge" of answering it otherwise. This student also doesn't answer it if it isn't from someone in school. I decided to set this limit because I can't be chatting with someone while I have students. I will check messages during breaks.

Now, my other problem with my phone is I have had a parent OVER step her boundaries and answer the darn thing when I was reaching for it. That really got me red. And, my teammate tells me whenever my red light is flashing (I have a message). I know I have messages! Why does she tell me? It's very rude I think.

Anyway, I am glad for it but it frustrates me to no end.

4. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jun 27, 2007

If it is the office and we don't pick it up they do an all call for "last name teacher, please dial ext. ****). I usually pick up to avoid interrupting everyone elses instruction.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2007

Our phone rings differently if the call is coming from outside or inside the building. I answer it, because what if it is from my children's school?

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 27, 2007

I always answer it. Our calls are routed through the office, of course they do let some calls in during our 90 minute reading block, which is a no no. I use it to call parents during instruction time if a child is having a problem following the rules/settling down, I just hand the phone to the kid and go back to teaching.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

No answer

But I wanted to say I am in the same boat. We also have caller id, and so when it was from in the school I would answer. I was the "tech" person so I would often get calls from people needing help. Of course there was no way in telling what calls were important when it was ringing. I finally got to the point where if it were a computer question, I would just say, "I'm sorry, I'm teaching right now, but I'll check with you later." Or I would ask them to send me an email and I would respond on my plan time.

I am moving to a new school which I hope is a lot more professional, where the teachers actually teach and not play on their computers all day!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

We have phones in our rooms, but they are set to go directly to voicemail. If there is an emergency, the caller needs to go through the office and they will call into our rooms to have us take the call.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

Our phones are set to route directly to voicemail between 7 AM and 2 PM. The only people who can get around the block are the office staff and admins. They're not supposed to call us during instructional time except during emergencies, but you know how it is.

I love having a phone in my room so that I can make all those calls to parents without having to pack up my records and head somewhere else and less private.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2007

I love the phone too especially when you have a difficult child and I'm sending him to another teacher "Joey is on his way."

I just don't like having to pick up the phone to check for voice mail.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2007

My phone shows who is calling as well. Usually the office will put them straight to my voice mail if it is during school hours unless it is a parent who really needs to talk to me.

The intercom really drives me crazy though. It is so loud and disruptive!

12. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

I wish we had phones..........

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2007

I just can't imagine teachers getting away with this! We've had bad teachers- but that is totally unacceptable.

14. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

We didn't have phones in our rooms at my old school. Or an intercom system...heck we only have one teacher per grade! lol Teent tiny school 100 student (PreK-6).

I just got a new job and not sure if they have phones....the school is only 3 years old, so who knows.

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

We just got classroom phones this year that can receive outside calls. We used to just be able to call the office. The frustrating part is that, even though I told them I wouldn't, parents think I will answer their phone calls and listen to voicemail during the day. It's frustrating because they think they can just call and leave a voicemail saying that their child's pick up plans have changed or so and so is going with whoever, or etc. I don't like it. Grrrrrr....

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

Would love it if I had a phone in the classroom. We had them back in Kentucky and it was great. Office could call w/o disrupting everyone. Here I have to use my cell phone if I want to deal with a behavior issue immediately.

17. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jun 28, 2007

We have phones and I love it. Outside calls go directly to voicemail. Any inner-school calls will go through. One of my helper jobs is to answer the phone. I teach them at the beginning of the year the appropriate way to greet the caller. It works very well...I don't have to stop what I'm doing and kids love it. It's also a great way to practice their writing - taking messages, etc.

18. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 28, 2007

Very good idea krwaggieteach. What grade level do you teach?

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

One of my classroom jobs is the "phone operator" whose job it is to answer the phone if I'm not available at that moment. It keeps me from having to run across the room (The phone is in the opposite corner from my desk), but quite often the secretary will ask to speak to me anyway. Thats fine except when it really is something the kid could have handled. That's what annoys me. If it's a private concern about someone, I totally understand her wanting to talk to me about it, but if it's "please tell Billy his lunch is in the office", why can't a fourth grader deliver that message?

20. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

We don't have a phone system or an intercom system, but I do have to wear a 2way radio all the time. Every staff member has one.. and we all use the same channel. We're a rather small school. (PK3-3rd and growing..) The most annoying part is when the preschool is out on the playground & I keep hearing messages of "Go get Johnny and stop him from jumping off the slide" "Sally is coming in to the bathroom" "Has anyone seen Bobby?" "Is Fred in timeout or is he just sitting there because he wants to?" all the time. However, I always needed to keep it on because I never knew when the message was for me.

If we had phones I wouldn't answer it if I was teaching.. it would completely fluster me!

21. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jun 28, 2007

My problem with the phone is that I teach at two schools (morning at one, afternoon at the other) and share both rooms with other teachers. So, I have parents from one school calling me when I'm at the other and don't always have the info I need... We've all kinda worked it out so whoever is closer answers and takes a message if the other is not immediately available. We have a new phone system in place where we can very easily call to other schools in the district which is nice, but I have to say that I miss just picking up my unimportant messages from the office. Seems like our phone is constantly beeping at us. Then again, could be because we have three teachers in and out of the room throughout the day....

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2007

Have phones in our rooms and intercoms, most calls come from the office and it drives me crazy. I'll be on the other side of the room and the office will holler my name and start telling me some message(kids not coming, etc.) It's usually just real early in the morning so it isn't interrupting teaching time(usually.)