Classroom pet?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Last year I gave up a guinea pig and went with fish. I admit I was looking for low maintenance! This year I'd like to consider a real pet. My new room is small -- really small! I'd love any suggestions for a a fairly easy to maintain pet.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

We have hamsters and they are fabulous.

4. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Can the kids hold them?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

Yes. Our kids do hold them, and I teach 3-6 yr olds. Our rule is that we have an adult nearby "just in case" and they're taught how to hold them. We also have a ball we can put them in to run around the classroom.

They're softer than gerbils and really cute. You have to get them young so you can make sure they're used to being held.

6. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I have an African Dwarf frog this year. My dog just had puppies last week, so I've been considering talking to my P about bringnig them in for a few days.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 9, 2010

I had hermit crabs one year. The first one LOVED getting out to play with the kids... after he died, we got another one and he was so shy that he wasn't as much fun :) The kids really liked them.

8. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Pets

Okay, before you read this, i would like you to keep a really open mind!
    I had two pet rats in my class for two years and they were great. The kids could handle them no problem, maintenance was easy--just clean out the bedding every week or so, water and food--and the kids really enjoyed watching them. The kids could give them treats...cereal, apple pieces, almost anything, and my rats would gently take it from their hands and hold it in their hands while eating. The kids loooooooved this! Everyone is always really grossed out by the idea of rats but they aren't very different than hamsters or gerbils except they are more active and smarter! We would sit around in a circle with our legs stretched out and let them run around. They would hang out on my shoulder as I walked around the class. They were great!
    If you do consider them, you should also be prepared for talking about death with your students as they have a 1 to 2 year life expectancy. Mine got tumors as they got older and it was very sad, I had to put them down. It's a left over affect from lab rats that were used to test breast cancer and such. The kids made goodbye, I'll miss you cards for them and it was really a great experience for them in the end.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

My sisters boyfriend has two rats. I cam home to find them sitting on my living room table because he was moving and needed somewhere for them to stay. I HATE rodents and am freaked out by them. However, I really took a liking to the rats. I fed them and watched them play. I really really liked them! I have been thinking about getting a pet too, but I was gunna wait until after school starts in which I can discuss it with other teachers. Rats do die quickly so you do have to be sure to explain it to the students. last year we had two mice die in class but the kids took it very good.

10. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I'm not opposed to rats and I'll check them out. I wish we had a better pet store here. Our local one seems kind of dirty and that's a turn off when going to buy a pet.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

11. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Rats

I am glad you are not opposed to rats! A lot of people were pretty grossed out when they first see them in my classroom, but they usually grow on people. I hear you about the dirty pet stores, you can also check with the humane society or local shelter. People give up rats pretty often. :(

I am considering taking my pet ferret with me in the class this year. I have had him at home for three years or so and I think he will do well in the classroom.

12. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

How about a gecko? I am thinking of a classroom pet as well. Something fairly simple.

13. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

The hard thing with reptiles and amphibians is I know salmonella can be an issue. I don't know if this is true for Geckos or not, but you should look into it.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 14, 2010

In WA in my license it states that we can't let children handle reptiles or amphibians......ever....under any circumstance. However, we do have a rabbit in a cage and outside we now have a chicken coop to observe. Both sorta more maintance then a rat or gerbil......but the children love to feed and water them as well as groom the rabbit and watch the chickens.

15. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I LOVE that you have chickens! That is just way too wonderful!

Do your kids hold the rabbit? Does she/he come out of her cage to move around the room? I like the idea of a rabbit and hoped someone would have some experience with one.

16. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I just got two bearded dragons for my classroom. I can't wait to the beginning of the school year!

17. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I have heard bearded dragons make great classroom pets. I even read that they often make a waving like motion with their front leg to greet you! I bet your kids will love them.