Classroom parties - What do you do???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 15, 2014

I promised my kiddies an end-of-the-year party in a few days. I'll bring in pizza and they usually bring in goodies so food is covered. The part I'm bad at is organizing fun stuff to do. ;) What are some games and/or activities that you do for classroom parties? I'm dying for ideas so anything you can contribute would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Most teachers here have the kids bring in board games, bring in a video game/system they can put up on the big screen, or watch a movie--it tends to be quite an unstructured time.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

We actually go on a fieldtrip the last day so it´s a great way to end the school year.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Bingo, board games, dance party, art project, bubbles, bead lizards.....

6. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

board games
    card games

freeze dance (my kids LOVE this)
    cereal necklaces (I use the cheap version of fruit loops/cheerios)
    pass the parcel (I put enough of the prize so everyone gets it.... and my "winner" normally offers to share before I even suggest it~~ success!)

Oh, and I always try to gather photos from throughout the year and put them into a slideshow. It's a fun way to think about memories and reflect. Some of the slides I will cover the face/faces in the photo and play "mystery friend" and students have to guess who it is.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2014

This year we had a class picnic in our classroom. I ordered pizza and we watched Frozen. The kids brought some fruit and we just spent the last few hours together. No parents, no siblings just us. It was a good way to end the year. I did make two parents mad when I said no parents and no siblings but at that point I really didn't care. It was a good way to end my year.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

I've always just put out games and coloring pages/crayons/markers and let kids choose their own activity, and then I go around and play the different games with them. I think the kids would prefer the unstructured time since they pretty much never get that in the classroom during other times. I don't do movies during parties because then it turns in to some kids wanting to really watch the movie and getting really upset that others aren't quiet, and I don't think it's fair to make everyone be quiet during a party. If I notice kids getting bored I'll start a dance contest or something similar.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

The best party I threw this year was our "Rainbow Loom" party - the majority of my kids have these looms and I went to a dollar store and bought a bunch of elastics. It was a hit.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 15, 2014

I put on a movie (magic school bus, reading rainbow, pbskids cartoons), then we do simon says, color pictures, read a story and draw/write our thoughts about it, eat snacks, watch another movie. i like to push all the desks and chairs aside so the kids can lay on their blankets and towels (i tell them to bring them in) and they chill on the floor with the lights low and watch the movie and play on the floor.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

We tie dyed shirts the other day...they've been hanging dry in my classroom all weekend! Tomorrow kids can go change into them if they want.:D

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 17, 2014

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not allowed to show movies, unfortunately. I'll play a few games with them and bingo. I like the freeze dance idea, but I think I'll save that until the end. That is bound to get them worked up. :)

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2014

We had our end of the year party last week. We had an outdoor picnic.

We played (do not know the actual names for the games):
    ball on the spoon relay race
    which team can fill up the most of their bucket with water in 1 minute using a cup that has holes
    bubbles!!!- this was a huge success. One of the moms brought in a ton of neat bubble wands and the kids had a blast just playing with those
    water balloons

I really like some of the other ideas on this thread and will keep them in mind for next year!