classroom paint

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sophie1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

If you could have your classroom painted only one solid color, but got to choose, what color would you pick?

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

Light blue or light green are very calming - I'd pick one of those.

4. new york

new york Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

A very light pastel yellow... it makes the room look bigger and serves as a good contrast for any color on a bulletin board.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 30, 2007

Light blue

I also love light green and light yellow too!!

6. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

a camel colored (but then it would go really well with my navy and red lighthouse theme). I did the camel color in the preschool I worked in-it was a good neutral background and was warm and inviting.

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

Nice ideas, do any of you actually have these colors in your room? My room is white. I hate it.

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 30, 2007

At our school, they painted all of our walls a creamy, yellowish white color and then painted the top section of the walls different in every classroom. The top part of my room is bright yellow and it adds alot to the room, but isn't overwhelming because it's only the top portion. It's not the way I would've done it, but that's ok. I can work with it. ;)

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2007

The instructor for my Classroom Management course (a former school psychologist and SPED counselor) told us that we should paint our rooms light pink if we wanted our kids to be most comfortable. Apparently it is calming and comforting to the kids, whether they are "normal", ADHD, Autistic, Socioeconomically disadvantaged, etc. Again, this is not necessarily my opinion, but I've been wondering the same thing and just hadn't posted the question yet.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 1, 2007

I had a light blue wall in my last room.... but now I'm switching classrooms yet again. :( I'd like to paint, but it's going to be in a brand new room so I'm happy with nice new white walls, instead of yellowish-gray walls as old as me!

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 1, 2007

I'd choose a real light yellow. I'm very into bright, light rooms.

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

We have a handful of colors we can choose from--and of course, WE have to be the one to paint it if we want a color different that the standard off white. I know light blue and yellow are on the list. One teacher down the hall did hers in yellow and while it is very cheery and pretty, I think it can make the kids a little more exciteable. I would choose light blue...

13. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

My classroom this year was light yellow on three walls and light blue on the other wall and I loved it. My new classroom is light green, like in a hospital. I don't think it's that great ! I hope they plan on painting in eventually. I want a blue or yellow classroom.

14. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I think I'd like a light blue, almost like a tiffany blue or bright yellow. My friend has a pale purple room. I wonder how the boys like it? I think if it were pink, they wouldn't like it at all.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 1, 2007

That's what I wanted to do... three light blue walls and one light yellow wall.

16. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 1, 2007

Who picked this????

My new classroom in a brand new, almost open school has 3 dark blue-gray walls and 1 intense burnt-orange!!! Who the heck came up with this??!!!

17. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 1, 2007

And how do I decorate??

Any ideas on how to decorate around this? I can't figure out what to put on the bulletin boards.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 1, 2007

My room this year was sea foam green. The classroom next door was set up practically identical to mine (we were the same program, and worked together to find a good way to organize the rooms), but hers was a tan color. My room looked a million times brighter and bigger than hers did. You could see the difference immediately just standing in the doorway. It's amazing how something as simple as wall color can change a classroom so much.

19. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

I would like a pretty sea green or light blue I think.

Instead I'm stuck with old greyish/puke colored walls that probably haven't been re-painted since the school opened in the 60's!

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2007

I wonder if y'all are allowed to do something like this: A friend of mine is a very talented 2nd grade teacher. She painted the walls of her room sky blue, and the lockers royal blue. Then she painted a mural of frogs (her "theme") spread out on the three walls without lockers. She had a pond, dragonflies, fish, everything. Her room was magical! Needless to say, the kids loved it!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2007

Mine is stark white- I painted around my bb's a cheery yellow, and I think it looks good. Hopefully when I pull down the painters tape in a couple of weeks, it is good :)

22. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 2, 2007

You're all VERY lucky. We are not allowed to paint our classrooms. We have a tanish color and I HATE it. It's so drab and dingy in my classroom all of the time. I would love to paint my room a sage green. One of the classrooms in different district has sage green walls and the classroom was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. Honestly, though, I would take anything besides what I have now.

I use to put up paper on my walls to cover the paint, but that is against fire code and I was forced to take it down.

23. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

When I had a classroom in an old building at our school, I was able to paint it any way I wanted. I painted it sky blue and sponged on white clouds. I loved it and wish I could have it in the room I'm in now, but we aren't allowed to paint the walls. I do plan to buy some material like this and put it up in my reading corner this year. Any ideas for how to put it on the wall?