Classroom Organization Opinions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 11, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

I need your opinions on organizing my classroom. In a previous post I had mentioned how I wanted to use the following pinterest ideas.

In this one she has a bench that was created at home. This is my favorite. However, my husband is afraid it won't come out. :unsure: So I decided to try something different.

First Idea: http://pinterest.com/pin/77898268524179988/

similar idea
    http://pinterest.com/pin/86483255314607418/

Second idea: Now this one I liked as well, but I'm afraid of it taking too much space

http://pinterest.com/pin/45880489923369341/

Like I said I really like idea one, since it doesn't take up so much space. Today, I found this one for $15. Once assembled it is a big weak to hold up anything heavy, but it will work for notebooks. What do you think?

http://pinterest.com/pin/98516310569415788/

According to the size it was between 30-33 inches in height, which is similar to the book shelf I found at Walmart, for the same price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-3-Shelf-Bookcase-Black/17330706

Which one do you think I should go with? :help: I would greatly appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks!

3. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Do not, I repeat, Do Not get the wire rack you posted. I have one that holds potatoes and onions in my little pantry closet. It comes apart easily and is not very sturdy. I can see them coming apart when a student accidently kicked them or from other movement. If you have the room, I think idea #2 is the way to go. I have two of those small book shelves you posted. They are fine and would hold up well.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

I noticed how weak it was after my husband built the one for our softner and detergent.

I just found this one at walmart, and thought maybe I could assign one per group to use for their notebooks. I want them at their desk.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Wide-Cart/14138795?findingMethod=rr

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

I think the bookshelves or the shelves between the desks would be a much more "clean" or clutter-free look than the wire racks.

Do the student desks not have storage built in for notebooks?

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 12, 2012

I'm not self contained. My students switch, and having their notebooks on one large book shelf didn't always work when they needed their notebooks. It took up too much time to pass them out. I have only 50 minutes. Not all the desks have the rack on the bottom.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I see. With a 50 minute period that would definitely be an issue! I think the small bookshelves or the plastic drawers would both work or look fine, and they'd be easier than building the shelf for in between desks.

8. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I think the Walmart shelf is the same one I bought last year to store binders. The binders only fit standing up on one shelf IF I set the other shelf as high as it would go. Ended up having to stack the binders on top of each other, which was a mess.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

Maybe you could try refining the procedure for passing out notebooks. I also have 3 classes and we use folders that they keep in the class. My kids can get folders passed out or collected in less than a minute. When they first arrive in class I have a folder passer pass out folders. When folders are collected the students are instructed to put their folder on top of the pile before they pass the folders to the next person. That way when they are passed out the next day each student's folder is on top of the pile as they are passed out. So they just take their folder and pass the remaining pile down the aisle. We practice this procedure at the beginning of the year. Every time I redo the seating arrangement I clearly define the paths that folders will be passed out. It's all very efficient. If I didn't explain it clearly let me know and I'll try again. I should have been asleep a long time ago.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

I love the idea of the shelves near their desks. I bought the little three drawer organizers to use for these purposes (about $9 a piece). It has a top area for common supplies and then 3 drawers for notebooks or whatnot.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2012

What about placing a milk crate at the end of each cluster?

12. outdoormessagec

outdoormessagec New Member

Jul 12, 2012

A good way to be organized in the classroom is by posting on bulletin boards. Outdoor bulletin boards also come in handy for events that the school is hosting.

13. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

Wal-Mart Shelves

My classroom has and my CT's classroom had those $15 shelves from Wal-Mart. They will only hold up for a year or two years tops. They're great and affordable, but not very sturdy or durable.

:2cents:

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

????????????????????

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

My thoughts exactly....:spitwater:

16. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Organization

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Medium-Carts-Set-of-2/14147132?findingMethod=rr

I bought these from Walmart. In the beginning of the summer they were $7 and at the end of the summer they were marked down to $5. I have lime, blue, white, pink. I have one at the end of every table. The top drawer I use for extra supplies (tissue, sanitizer, pencils, etc).
    The last two drawers I use for reading and math workbooks. They've worked out very well for the past two years that I've used them, and they don't take up much space. It's optional on whether to use the wheels or not.

17. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 13, 2012

I've had the same bookshelves in my room for 7 years. They have scratches and show some wear on them, but they have held up very well for the price. I wipe them down with Magic Erasers every now and then and they're good to go!

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

For the last 4 years or so, CVS has had little 2 shelf bookshelves for $10. I have several because they fit right under the chalk (marker) tray of my board. Perfect!

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

Found a picture (a very old taken-in-the-summer picture)

[​IMG]

20. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

I am really going to have to watch for those. I think that is a marvelous use of space. :)

21. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

I have never seen those drawers at that price. Jealous!

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

The colors have changed a bit from year to year. That picture is from when I first found them (5 years ago). I have added several more and they don't all match.

I have only had ONE break and that is because someone decided to sit on it :banghead:

23. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

I told my sister about the rolling cart drawers, and she went out and bought me two! She's awesome. I wasn't sure what to use but she answered my question. I just need two more. She found them at Target for $10.