Classroom Organization Help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SingBlueSilver, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 25, 2011

I like to number my tables in the classroom so I can call up different groups at a time for different things. Ex: "Table 1 go get your portfolios!"

So the kids always know their table numbers, in the past I have the tables labeled - I'd type out a number and tape it to the table or I'd print labels/stickers and place them on that way. No matter what, it never fails, either the students start to peel them off (even when I specifically say not to) or just normal wear and tear, they begin to peel off.

Is there a way to successfully label the desks without the labels peeling (till at least semester's end) or without using a permanent marker?

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 25, 2011

One teacher in my school tapes numbers on the backs of all of the desk chairs, so students can see them as they are about to sit down. They would have to turn around to start peeling the labels off, so it wouldn't be worth the effort. I number my desks in the same way that you do (just for the purpose of assigning seats at the beginning of the year), but I take them all off after the first week or two since students begin peeling them off like you describe.

4. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

If you have a drop ceiling, you can attach the table numbers to a paper clip with a piece of yarn. I punch a hole in the number card then tie it to the paper clip on the other end. Then set the paperclip up inside the drop ceiling. It works well to have the numbers up and out of reach. I'm going into my third year and I am still using the same set of number cards.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

We hang them from the ceiling as well.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

You can give a prize to the table with the neatest label. I am going to try laminating my labels and just putting them on the table with tacky putty. They will peel it but it will be easy to put back and there won't be residue. I think you can hot glue it but I am a little afraid to do that!