classroom music

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bonneb, Sep 30, 2006.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 30, 2006

Can anyone recommend some good CDs for the classroom, K-2? I am looking for music with directions for movement, music to direct transitions, music that has fun or silly lyrics/movements. I'm not too good at making up the movements so need the directions. Don't know if Amazon has anything - I searched but couldn't find anything like what I am looking for. Thanks!

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2006

I know The Wiggles may sound babyish, but my 2nd graders love the cd. We spent a long time on on Social Studies and Math the other day so I pulled out the Wiggles cd and had them move to "Shake Your Sillies Out" and they thought that was the funniest thing in the world. They just wiggled everywhere!! I've also used "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song to get them moving about. They really enjoy the breaks throughout the day and I have a ton of other cd's in my possession to introduce them to. These are the same cd's my Head Start children enjoyed so it can be used with older children as well.:D

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Sep 30, 2006

Hap Palmer cd's have music w/directions. my first graders love to play "Paper Clocks" over and over again!

And Bill Shontz, "The Day I Read a Book" just for fun listening while you work music.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 30, 2006

Jim Gill has some fun movement stuff, as do Greg and Steve.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 1, 2006

Dr. Jean!

7. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Oct 3, 2006

http://www.christmasconcert.com/MusicPlay.htm

This is the absolutely best music program I've ever used. It's so simple and SO MUCH FUN! There's a booklet called Kids Favourite Songs that every single song in it has become a classic to my class.

8. JenL

JenL Comrade

Oct 3, 2006

dr. jean
    and my kids love disney silly songs. there is this one song called what's your name and my kids just laugh and laugh at it!

9. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Oct 3, 2006

Dr. Jean is the best!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2006

I've looked at dr. jean's CDs. What would you recommend for 1st graders?

11. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

gotta love the Wiggles (go the Aussies)!!

12. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

There's the one cd set called Steve and Dave (I think it's Dave). They have good ones and my kindergarteners loved it.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 5, 2006

Greg and Steve's "We All Live Together" series are great... Volume 2 is the best - "Good Morning" is what I use every day to cue my kids to clean up and come to circle. "The Freeze" is the kids favorite, and I use it for a 'body break' many times during the week - the kids BEG to do it.

14. Youngteacher226

Oct 5, 2006

Oh boy, I can't put it into words how much I love Greg and Steve's cd!!!! I used this cd everyday when I taught Head Start and the Good Morning song was our welcome song as well. My kids absolutely used to beg to do The Freeze!!! I used to actually do the freeze dance with musical instruments which was great.
    I have been a bit nervous to use the cd with my 2nd graders so far this year though.:( I wonder if they will think that it is babyish. I actually have 2 of my former HS kids in my class!!! And I'm sure they will remember me playing these songs all the time!!!Hmmm, I think that I will pull the cd out next week and test them with it.:p

15. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 5, 2006

My 2nd graders LOVE it - none of them think it's babyish at all... I used it from day one.

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 5, 2006

Dr. Jean. . . . I am such a music snob. Since so many of you seem to adore her, I will just shut up about her.

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

where can you find this cd?

18. Youngteacher226

Oct 5, 2006

19. Youngteacher226

Oct 5, 2006

By the way, my favorite song on this cd is "The World Is A Rainbow"!!!! My kids loved it. It encourages diversity and differences in poeple which is something I feel is very important.

20. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

Teaching Peace by Red Grammar! Great songs about how to be a good person, etc. Really catchy, too!

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 5, 2006

Along thel ines of Greg and Steve's Freeze song, my kids also love JIm Gill's Silly Dance Contest... same idea, but he'll tell the kids to jump or dance in slow motion or do other goofy things for several verses. My 3's think this is HILARIOUS, and most 2nd graders I know would love it, too. Sometimes they're funnier because they're better at stopping in funny poses. ;)

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2006

Thank you everybody for taking the time to tell me about these CDs. I will definitely be adding some to the classroom. I am intrigued with the idea of the Freeze Dance! Sounds like following directions to me!
    Thanks again.

23. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 6, 2006

Try music from http://www.musick8kids.com/

They have a variety of music. You can download songs on CD's and MP3's. They are 99 cents each and students can also download songs as they like as well.:)

24. Youngteacher226

Oct 6, 2006

Just a little update!!!!
    I did "The Freeze" with my kids today and they LOVED IT!!!! Some kids pretended like they were playing guitars, some were dancing like Elvis, it was sooo funny. :p :D We also did the "Listen and Move" activity and song on the Greg & Steve cd and that went well too!!! So, I should have known better than to doubt that my kids would love Greg & Steve but I will be pulling out all of my other cd's next week.

25. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2006

I agree Greg and Steve is the way to go! The kids LOVE them. I use "The Freeze" often when cleaning up. The kids adore it! Also the Good Morning song is my well... Good Morning song :)

26. graf

graf New Member

Oct 7, 2006

I taught K for 6 years and now I teach 1st. I like Jim Rule--Too Much Fun! (songs are in English and in Spanish). Has great days of the week, months of the year, counting, etc. songs. Also, I really like Hugh Hanley--Circle of Songs, particularly Sticky, Sticky, Bubblegum.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2006

28. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 25, 2006

I like classical at times in my room, too. However, for more "fun" music, I can strongly recommend anything by Tom Chapin, too. Older kids (my own 12 and 14 y/o stilll love his songs from when they were younger) love them, as do my 2nd graders. When I was a stay-at-home mom for several years, my kindergarten car-pool kids would beg me to play Tom Chapin on the way home.

29. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 26, 2006

I just have to get "The Freeze! now" Can't wait!

30. stacye

stacye Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

I can't help but adore Dr. Jean!!! She is the best :)

31. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Nov 27, 2006

I have to agree with some of the others about the Wiggles. I don't teach elementary, but I have a 3 y/o, and she LOVES the Wiggles. She has the CD titled, "Yummy, Yummy." "Shake Your Sillies Out" is a good one. Another song she likes on the CD is "Fruit Salad." I know a lot of people don't like the Wiggles, but I did some research on them, and 3 of the 4 in the group are certified teachers. They teach a lot of things with their songs like ethnic diversity, healthy eating, exercising, and some plain ol' fun stuff!!