classroom management

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by lcr, Apr 1, 2005.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Apr 1, 2005

This is my first year teaching. Sometimes I feel as though I am too hard on the kids, but when I relax and joke a little, everything gets out of control. I don't want to be a "mean" teacher and I don't want to be a pushover, is there ever an in-between? Does anyone else feel this way?

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 2, 2005

What grade level? I think the age has a lot to do with it. Is it an older grade where they understand the difference between when it is OK to have some fun and when it is time to be serious and learn? I teach the little ones and it is difficult to find that middle ground. You need to be serious (not necessarily "mean") to gain control of the class. But once you have that control you can slack off a bit and have some fun. Just don't let it get out of hand. I think it takes some experience to learn how to handle that middle ground that you are looking for.

4. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Apr 19, 2005

Wow! That first post is exactly how I have been feeling all year. This is my first year of teaching and I struggle w/ that everyday. I hope you're right Margo...hopefully I'll figure it out better next year!!

5. lzauner

lzauner New Member

Apr 24, 2005

Keep it up!

HI!
    I, too, feel that I am hard on my kids sometimes as well. I would not recommmend being too laid back though. I have been hard on my kids since day one and I am incredibly glad I was. My students come in the classroom everyday and are ready to learn. They know what is expected of them and want to try their best to be successful. My students and I do have fun too. We joke and laugh all the time and I know it is because of my classroom management. I think the best thing to do it show your kids that you do have a sense of humor but also that you expect them to work. It might be hard at first but keep at it! I hope this helps!