Classroom management...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SweetHomeAlabam, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jul 28, 2009

What is your grade and your style or plan. Where did you learn it? *book, other teacher, trial and error

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

I teach middle school, what I have found most effective are below:

1. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

2. Give instructions once, and wait for the students to follow through

3. Read and apply the ideas of Teaching with Love and Logic to your classroom.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Oh, and....

4. Have a fierce teacher stare!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Rachael- :haha:

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

Oh yea!!!!!!:mad:

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2009

I plan on using a combination of two methods this coming year- Fred Jones and Love and Logic. You can Google either if you are unsure what I am talking about. :) I also use some engagement ideas from Power Teaching (mainly guff just where students simply say "Please stop."). I think it will all incorporate extremely well.

8. SweetHomeAlabam

Jul 30, 2009

I have read the Fred Jones and I agree with most, but then again I have not been in the classroom much yet!!

I have not heard of Love and Logic but googleing now!!

9. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Yeah - the "Teacher Look" stops many of my middle schoolers - that, and communication with the parents means I have little trouble.

10. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Whole Brain Teaching (used to be Power Teaching), look into the Big Seven.

11. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Although I'm not a full fledged teacher, I did sub at two school districts this past year in all grade levels, well 3rd grade on up. Did one day with 1st graders and thought that was harder than heck. I can't deal with those youngsters.

I would be firm but at the same time allow them to have some room to breath. You don't want to be so mean and strict that students hate coming to class. Explain the rules and classroom procedures, what you should expect from them and what they should expect from you. Once the students know their boundaries, things should be fine.

You don't want to be addressing rules in October for which you addressed the first week of school.

12. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I'm more of the nuturing type and I have read Teaching With Love and Logic and Teaching Children To Care (Responsive Classroom). I'm trying RC for the first time and so far I like it..It definitely fits my personality.

Your going to have to experiment a little and find what fits your personality and teaching style.

13. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

LOL at the "teacher stare" comment. At a p/t conference I had, a parent mentioned that she asked her child if I had to yell at the kids in class. The student said, "Oh no, Mrs. **** just LOOKS at us over her glasses.":p

14. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

i don't have time to read up on RC this summer. How is it different from Love and Logic or Conscious Discipline?

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

I teach 6th. I feel that Fred Jones fits my style best. A fierce teaching stare is a must. And something else I do that I love is having every procedure written out. I give them a packet of procedures on the first day of school. Anytime they break a procedure I stop them (usually with my fierce and fabulous teacher stare) and ask them what the procedure is. They of course say I don't know. Then I whip out the packet and show them the procedure, have them fix their mistake, and then I read the procedure to the class as review. After awhile when a kid breaks a procedure and tells me they don't know what they did, others in the class will start quoting what procedure they broke and what they need to do to fix it. I also find that having everything in writing stops the "But I was just..." argument when I ask them to fix something.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

I use the "MrsC method"--firm, fair and consistent. I set clear expectations for behaviour and am consistent in my expectation that they be followed and in my consequences. I treat my students with respect and expect to be treated with respect in return. I love to have fun with my students, but they know where "the line" is.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I'm still working on mine - it'll be a combination of Harry Wong, The First Six Weeks of School (Responsive Classroom), and Debbie Diller. Of course, I'm still teaching first grade One of these days, they'll let me teach students who actually have some logic!

18. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I lower my voice when I "mean business." It's funny because another teacher had pointed it out to me while our classes were outside together at teacher directed p.e. She's a yeller and she noticed how I handled one of my students. And she was like, "wow, we're completely opposite!"

I feel proud when parents tell me at conferences that their children say, "Ms. Yi never yells. She gets disappointed sometimes, though." :)

I really like the books Setting the Limits in the Classroom and How to Talk so your Kids Can Learn. Both books are chock full of examples and non-examples. Non-examples sometimes give a clearer picture of what you should be doing -- if that makes any sense.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I just read How to Talk..., and Setting Limits.... sounds really interesting! I'm gonna add it to my amazon wish list!

I made the mistake of yelling some last year, simply because some of my kiddos "couldn't" hear me otherwise. I'm naturally a quiet person, and this year, I do not plan to raise my voice. I have noticed that most students will pay closer attention to the teacher if he/she whispers.

20. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

What I do when I want to get my kids' attention is wait silently. I try not to let the volume escalate to the point where I would have to raise my voice. As soon as one child is talking out of turn, I wait and look at the child. It doesn't take them long to get quiet.

When I am doing group activities where they're allowed to talk and I need their attention, I raise my hand (the give me five signal) and walk around the room. You'll always have those kids who respond to you right away which helps get the message across to the other students.

The important thing is to maintain your procedures. As soon as you see a particular procedure falling apart, you practice it.

For example, sometimes I would have kids who would give me the signal but would continue talking. That's when we would stop, review the procedure and practice it at different intervals throughout the day/week.

21. SweetHomeAlabam

Aug 1, 2009

I love the examples guys!!! this helps so much, I'm so nervous! I love the reference materials you are listing! I am adding all of them to my half.com wish list!