classroom management

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Iris228, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

its day five of school and i am feeling stressed out! I have some really great listeners in my group but i have a few who have a really tough time sitting at circle, walking down the hallway quietly, etc etc all those wonderful procedures that we've been practicing daily. I use a behavior system where children start on green, move to yellow, or red based on behavior. I do not use this when students can not follow procedures we've only just begun to learn.

So, I would really love some ideas on how to reward students who really seem to work hard to listen and follow the direction so that other students will follow their example, verbal praise is just not cutting it with some of my group. I have one who specifically seems to think it's funny to cut in line, hop down the hallway, talk when we are in line for drinks etc. Even if I verbally praise those around him he does not change the behavior and I have to remind him again and again of the correct way to do things. I don't always want to be calling him out for these bad behaviors and If I put him in the "yellow or red" for these offenses he'd always be there! I try to really pay attention when he's doing something great..which he is quite capable of. Any ideas for individual rewards? I don't really want to do food which I is what I have seen other teachers doing.

3. teachall

teachall Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

I use Gotchas! They are little slips of paper that say gotcha, I write the students name on the back that was catch being good in line, in class, at lunch, where ever, doing whatever I like or expect of all. When we get to the room if we have been out I announce the names that I got and drop them into the a jar at the end of the week I pull 10 name and give them candy treats. This really has improved most of my student behaviors.

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

Thanks for the advice. I'm so at a loss with him. He doesn't seem to mind negative or positive attention as long as it's attention. Consequences really don't seem to have an effect on him. I'm hoping maybe by catching him doing wonderful things he'll keep on that track because calling him out for doing things wrong does NOT phase him. He told me on the second day of school that he's always in trouble (i guess at home knowing what I know about his home life and siblings who've been through the school) He didn't seem at all upset about it, just like that's his role to fill. Ugh... and this is only the first week of school.:unsure:

I also thought about doing an individual behavior chart for where children can earn stickers for doing the right things and then when it's filled up they can pick from a prize box. When I was ST my CT did something like this with money but it was a lot to keep track of and for students to hand in their money took a long chunk of the end of the day.