classroom management

Discussion in 'High School' started by muilan, Aug 9, 2007.

1. muilan

muilan New Member

Aug 9, 2007

I am in my second semester of a Post Graduate Diploma in Education course.
    At the end of my first semester, I was offered an English teaching post at a Muslim school teaching Years 8 - 10.
    I am so frustrated because I just cannot get the year 10's to be interested in their lessons.
    No matter what I say, they do not bother, they talk among themselves and when I try psychology on them, they tune off as they consider it boring stuff.
    Help, someone out there help.

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Are the other teachers at the school having similar problems with those students? I've found that it's sometimes valuable to brainstorm with others who share your problems or students. They might have some ideas about how to combat the attitudes you're facing.

It sounds like you're not having the same problems with the other grade levels, so I think it's THEM, not you.

I hope you find a solution soon. Good Luck!

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2007

Have a class meeting with them. Chances are there are other kids in the class who are annoyed too, so use that to your advantage.

I have students sit around in a circle and I explain to them that we are taking a day off to talk about how we think the class is going. sometimes I even bring in some snacks. I have them take out a piece of paper and split it into three sections. In one they write ME in one they write OTHERS and in one they write THIS CLASS. I have them write something positive in each category and then they discuss. Then I have them do the same categories on the back, but with negative things they have seen (no specific people) and they share their complaints, and we work out what we don't ilke (me included). Then I ask what we can do about the things we dont like. The kids are usually harsher than I would be so it is usually pretty easy to come to some sort of decision. This works well in the middle of the year when you think you cant start over with new rules.