Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Teachersteveguy, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Teachersteveguy

Teachersteveguy New Member

Jun 12, 2014

Hey All,

I am preparing for my second year teaching kindergarten. I had a blast last year and I'm looking forward to this upcoming year. With that said, I would love to hear what some of you use for classroom management. This year I dabbled in Class Dojo and the Accountability Concept pyramids (some of you may be familiar with that) but I wasn't very satisfied with either system. I would love to have something that the students really buy into.

I'd love to hear what others are using.

Thanks,

Steve ;)

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I'll be starting my first year teaching in the fall, so I wish i could help you. But I'll be doing some trial and error myself.

4. miskenzie

miskenzie Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

I like Responsive Classroom.

5. k80hardy

k80hardy Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I am with you, I could use a little advice in this department.

I have taught 1st Grade for the past 2 school years and before that I was teaching Pre-K. What is the best classroom management system? Would you recommend "behavior contracts" as opposed to putting a "behavior chart" up on the wall for everyone to see? Should rewards for students who go above and beyond the call of duty be given discreetly?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2014

Do you have a school-wide system or can you do your own thing?

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

In my long-term sub assignment, we used behavior charts. Any student on green gets a student buck (which I printed out from the computer). They can buy prizes. I'm thinking of incorporating that in my new class with kindergarten-appropriate prizes. I always reminded my students that there is always an opportunity to go back to green, but they must be on their best behavior. I'm also thinking behavior contracts for those who need to work on anything. We'll see, I'm coming from a third grade environment.

Just some food for thought :)

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Also if you do a behavior chart, one thing I'm thinking of doing is making a chart, "Stay On Green!" or "How our friends in class K-### stay on green…" just to serve as a friendly reminder. I'm thinking of doing that too.