Classroom management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mal2587, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mal2587

mal2587 New Member

Aug 14, 2013

I have my credential but haven't been able to get a job yet. I am subbing until I do. I have always felt that one of my weaknesses is classroom management. I read about a lot of different techniques and have used many. I don't feel that I am terrible and my classes never get out of control but I always end up feeling like the kids don't do anything so big that they deserve to reach that bottom tier on their chart. One of the biggest difficulties I have is that during tests I will tell them no talking and pretty soon I start hearing little voices. Sometimes I can tell who it is, but a lot of the time I can't even tell or if they are just reading the questions? Does anyone else get these feelings or struggle with these things? What do you do?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Use proximity principles near the kids you hear talking. Put up 'privacy folders' during tests. If it continues, take the test from the talkers. They can take the test after school.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Maybe walk around the room while they are testing. With younger grades especially, they may be reading the questions as some kids have trouble understanding what they are reading if they are only reading in their heads

5. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 14, 2013

I use a little wind chime for transitions, and play the "quiet game" a lot; especially during testing, I challenge them to be quiet to earn an extra sticker or bonus point or something along those lines.

6. Mister Eric

Mister Eric Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

I have been subbing for 2 years now while getting my credentials and I had the same problems at first. It took me a while to come to grips with the fact that no matter how much I try, they are not going to behave as well for me as they do with their "real" teacher. They know you will be gone tomorrow and they know that even if you leave a bad note the consequences will be minimal, so they will get away with whatever they can.

It's not a problem with you, it's just kids being kids. For what it's worth, before I got "formal" training, I just used a combination of stuff from "The First Day of School" (Wong) and "Tools for Teaching" (Jones) to manage the classes I was subbing in and it was enough. Like HorseLover and czacza said, just stay near the ones that are being "bad" and that will cut down on a lot of it.