Classroom management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by macteach, Mar 28, 2011.

1. macteach

macteach Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

As a somewhat new teacher, I feel like I have that group of kids that has just been a real challenge. Just lately, they have been really out of control. It seems like nothing is working. I have tried rewards, consequences etc. Would you recommend stopping all instruction and just going over proceedures again? I am really thinking of doing this tomorrow. Any other ideas?

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

Going over procedures again could be helpful - wouldn't hurt. Is it the class as a whole, a few students, or a group of students. Are there consistent instigators? What are the biggest behavioral concerns, and why do you think they are happening? What are your current procedures?

4. macteach

macteach Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

Well, I have about 4 students that are really the instigators of most of the behaviors. They interrupt during teaching time and they are just not nice to one another. The four students that are really the worst are very much a handful. I have one that is ADHD and he is really a distraction to the rest of the group. I think it is happening because I really don't have any consequences that are bad enough to deter the behavior. I have made them call parents before. I have no recess to take and the parent support is really not there for the ADHD student. I am thinking rather than reteach the same proceedures to the whole group I probably need to keep the 4 instigators in at recess to practice routines. Any ideas?

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 28, 2011

What age are your students? I've noticed that sometimes certain kids are just sick of each other by this time of the year. It drives me up the wall when they fight with each other.

It might be a good idea to give a sort of mini boot camp to your four before they recruit more to their cause. I've found that when students refuse to follow rules, making them do something over and over again (like returning to the line up place on the playground until the line is completely quiet. Only then do we proceed to the classroom) will usually set the rule in their mind.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 29, 2011

First, good question by Jen about age. I'm guessing elementary since you have the opportunity to keep them in at recess, but what grade specifically?

I think keeping them in at recess and practicing routines wouldn't be a bad place to start - it would be easy to try for a few days, and you'll be able to tell if it worked.

So, if those 4 are the main source of difficulty, can you tell us a little more about those four - the dynamics of those kids, typical behaviors, typical examples of how things go from calm to out of control? Do each of those four kids play a different role, or do they all act together?

7. macteach

macteach Rookie

Mar 30, 2011

I teach third grade. They generally work alone. Interrupting teaching seems to be their main problem. If they are accidently touched or bumped into at circle time, it becomes a big deal or escalates. Two of them have tough home lives. I have pulled all but one aside and talked to them during lunch. I put one on an individual reward plan, which I hate having to reward to get proper behavior, but it is helping. I am thinking about an individual behavior plan to be sent home each night for mom and dad to see for the others. I can see now that I should have nipped this behavior right away before it became out of hand.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

Thanks macteach. So, if they are all essentially having separate issues that are generally unrelated, it sounds like overall your classroom is well-behaved, but the isolated behavior of these 4 students is causing loss of instructional time and other issues to come up.

If they are behaving independently, it probably makes sense to start thinking about each of the kids separately in terms of strategies. It sounds like you've started to do this, as you created an individual reward plan for one of the kids, which is having some success.

Because brainstorming ideas for 4 kids at once may become complicated, would it be helpful to brainstorm ideas about one child to start with, and then move to the others? If so, which child would you want to start with, and could you describe more about that child?