Classroom management tips?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Miss~Blue, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

I'm placed in a 1st grade class this year. I do fine when I'm working with them while going around from child to child or in small groups. I'm not technically supposed to be teaching lessons yet till next semester and I only have to teach a couple since I'm only a junior. I taught a couple lessons already because I was curious about how it would go and I wanted experience before I tried it next semester. The lessons went okay so far, but I...feel a bit uneasy since a couple of weeks ago the teacher went to the doorway to check up on a 6th grade class across the hall and the students started talking.

I tried to use the method my teacher uses to quiet the class down and it did not work at all. A handful of students listened to me, but there was a group of 3-5 that would not and were quite disrespectful towards me. I really want to know some tips on how to manage behavior since next semester when I actually teach lessons seriously...I want the class to take me seriously as another teacher in the room.

3. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 14, 2009

The veteran teachers can offer you more, I'm sure, but I do know that within a certain limit, they're never going to respect you as much as their teacher. They know that they have a teacher and that you're just a stand-in for a while... so you're never going to be an equal, in their eyes. I think that element, at least, will be gone once you have your own classroom b/c they will see YOU as the one that's filling that "real teacher" role.

4. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

It all depends on your personality and how much reign your collaborating teacher gives you. I always tried my best to be confident, and I am firm. I have used the following: teacher says "1,2,3 eyes on me" and then students repeat "1,2, eyes on you"...teacher says "clap twice if you can hear me"...teacher says "if you're talking stand up" or "if you're talking, pull your card/clip"...etc...it all depends on your collaborating teacher's style though.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

You've got a lot to worry about, management will come. I'd look closely at curriculum and the flow of a lesson. Be ready to transition the kids quickly when they get done with an assignment. If they're still working and the teacher walks out, redirect the talkers that you expect them to work quietly for five more minutes, finish up, then we'll move on to something else. Idleness leads to a lot of behavior problems. Take good control over a few of the worst behaving students and the others will see your authority.

6. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Nov 27, 2009

Does your teacher have a management system for good behavior? When all else fails, grab a pack of stickers. Walk around and begin handing out stickers to students that are doing the right thing. 1st graders in general love stickers, so this should be helpful.

I'm currently student teaching in 4th grade and don't use the techniques my teacher uses, just because we're so different. But I'm finding that even simple things like "when you're finished put your hands on your _____" (shoulders, head, cheeks, knees, desk, etc) will work.

When I was in first grade last year, my teacher had the students transition a lot. After each step, they would return to the carpet area to get their next directions. So maybe you can incorporate something like that.

I just spoke with my teacher for a mini-interview on classroom management and he said it's generally the hardest part of teaching to learn, but continue watching what your teacher does, what other teachers do, and what your classmates do. Collect a bag of tricks to save and use.