Classroom Management Tips

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LittleShakespeare, May 4, 2018.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

May 4, 2018

Hi, everybody.

I'm having some trouble quieting down the students. This inner city school has some rowdy children. I speak up, and they're still talking. I give signals, and they continue talking. I wait for them to quiet down so I can speak, and they keep talking. It's a very small school, so everyone knows everyone. They're all friendly with each other.

I usually have to ask them about 4 times to sit down before they actually do. Sometimes, I feel like I'm talking to myself. :(

Do you have any recommendations for books I can read, or some tips on how to quiet down a very noisy and talkative classroom? :(

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 4, 2018

There needs to be consequences to not following instructions or meeting behaviour expectations. I know it’s late in the year but on Monday, time how long they take to settle down, show them the timer and then say that it is unacceptable. Give them your expectations again, the consequences when they don’t follow and follow through. When they do meet your expectations perhaps a reward at the end of the week. That’s how I would do it. It may take a few days to comply but if they know you mean business then they will comply.

Cheekyone and readingrules12 like this.
  4. LittleShakespeare

May 4, 2018

Thank you so much, dear. I know, it's so late in the year. I'm just wondering what I can do for next year, if I'm still at this district.

5. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 5, 2018

If a picture is worth a million words, a video is worth pages and pages of posts in response to your request for help. If you haven't already done so, search the internet by typing: high school classroom management videos. Here's one that I like because it reflects many of the things that I used to do with my own students. Take the time to study not only the tips, but also the tone of voice, demeanor and mannerisms of the teachers in the videos. Finally, practice imitating those teachers that you can relate to the most.

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 5, 2018

I think it’s not too late to start. You can even use your current class as a practice for next year, whichever district you end up in

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 20, 2018

Can you yell at them? You have to be able to scare inner-city kids; sometimes it's the only language they understand. Practice yelling at the mirror, pretend it's your class.

8. LittleShakespeare

May 21, 2018

Thank you so much, everybody! I'm really grateful for your help. :heart:

Everyone ready for summer break?? :D

9. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

May 30, 2018

This is so funny but sadly true.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 30, 2018

This video is amazing -- thank you for sharing!! Some really good tips and reminders in there, even after 10 years :)

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 30, 2018

Not in my experience...sad that you think that, though.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 30, 2018

In my experience teaching in an urban school, this is not true.

ms.irene likes this.
  13. LittleShakespeare

May 31, 2018

Thanks so much, everybody! I have so much work planned this summer. I have classroom management books to read and professional development seminars to take. :D

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 31, 2018

Do you know if you will be at the same school district yet?

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2018

As far as yelling, that's a no, I don't care what school setting you are in. Some of the reasons:
    1. would you want a teacher to yell at your child?
    2. it makes you look weak
    3. shows that you lost control
    4. kids think it's funny to get you mad and will keep it up
    5. some kids will get a sense of control of getting you mad and will keep it up
    6. kids tune it out and doesn't work
    7. after the first shock-effect it won't work
    8. they will lose respect for you
    9. they get yelled at at home and no you have become similar to their abusive mother or father

Raising your voice to talk over them to get them quiet, or projecting your voice, to have a firm, loud voice but without yelling is the way to go. That's what I do. It's very different than yelling.

16. LittleShakespeare

Jun 4, 2018

I did get my contract renewed. I know this sounds crazy, but I think I'm going to stay. To be honest, I don't know if I'm going to be teaching forever. This year, I'm applying to PhD programs, which are full-time jobs technically. It wouldn't make sense to switch schools right now.

I also didn't want to give up the amazing benefits at this job. 2 hour prep period, the ability to leave at 2:30 when the kids leave, etc. I hope I made the right choice.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 4, 2018

That would make me nervous. I would either wait until you have a strong control over your teaching to start your Ph D OR just start the Ph D and work some sort of retail/menial job to help make ends meet while you are working on the Ph D.

I think trying to take on the demands of a Ph D program, while you are still learning how to be an effective teacher, is doing a major disservice to both you and your students.

18. LittleShakespeare

Jun 4, 2018

Yeah, of course. I'm not going to teach high school while working on my PhD. I'd work in a library or something of the sort. But I'm applying for the Fall 2019 cycle. I'll just work as a teacher while I work on my applications.