Classroom Management Tips

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by bakingfunmom, Aug 24, 2013.

1. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Aug 24, 2013

Hi, I am beginning my final student teaching and would love to hear any classroom management tips you may have; primarily to suit a 5th grade class. I am feeling stressed with the situation because I was switched at the last minute to 5th grade from 3rd grade. I'm not familiar with this age group or the content. Any specific tips? Mgmt. is usually an issue for me. Students can get very loud...lining up and maintaining order in line is often an issue.

Particularly helpful would also be any tips on non-verbal communication? I am having issues with my hearing and voice that makes communication limited. I am using assistive devices in the classroom to help with voice projection and hearing. Would like to find ways to communicate that are non-verbal whenever possible.

Also, any tips on what to do when teaching material that you are unfamiliar with? This is also a concern. Thanks in advance. :help:

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

It sounds like you have a good placement. You are in a group you are unfamiliar with and so it will be good to experience them now rather than later. You also will get to observe and learn about the start of the year behavior management the classroom teacher uses. My advice would be to watch carefully. All the questions about management you have are things which you get better at over time. You can use bells, claps, hands raised to draw attention... You can train the children to follow any silent directions you use.

If you are unfamiliar with the teaching materials read and research them. Practice the activities yourself if you are unsure how it is done. Do the math equations if you cannot explain them yet.

4. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Aug 25, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly watch closely. I suppose I need to try some techniques out and find what I am comfortable with and what works. My teacher happens to have a very powerful presence and way about him which helps him maintain his classroom. I need to find that within myself. Thanks again.:)

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2013

Watch your mentor carefully and try to figure out how he's managing the class. If you have problems, ask for his input. One way I learned was to have my mentor teach a similar lesson that I had just done, then see what he did to keep everyone's attention.

One of my favorite blogs has information on this topic:
    http://ed-is-life.blogspot.com/2013/03/teaching-tech-getting-control-of-your.html

I also shared this with my last student teacher:
    http://www.edutopia.org/classroom-management-resource-guide