Classroom management slipping!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 6, 2012

I came into this year with a plan for EVERYTHING.

I had all of my procedures outlined, and a pretty good idea how I'd be starting the school year.

I have a teaching style that generally most kids love, and causes me to be a popular teacher, (though I'm worried about being too popular).

I am trying to be very consistent and strict about getting work done in class however, and this year we are doing a TON with organization in my classroom.

The year started off great. The kids were quiet, and listened to me, and we got work done, and I was consistently giving out consequences when rules were broken.

I believe I am stopping instruction to deal with blurting and side conversations frequently and consistently, but lately it's gotten pretty bad. Students know they should start on the kick-off question as soon as the bell rings, but I constantly have to remind them to remain quiet during the kick-off, and almost cajole them into having their binders out by the time the bell rings.

The thing is that it seems like a familiar pattern from last year. I continually stop and hold instruction, and it stops, but begins again as soon as I begin talking again. I am afraid that I am not catching it every single time that it happens, and I went and observed a classroom today of another teacher who is an AMAZING teacher (I will watch her frequently) and she was holding a discussion in her classroom that was so mild-mannered it was almost artistically beautiful.

I took notes on some things she did, but I feel that she might just have a natural manner about her that simply causes kids to take her seriously when she tells them that "we don't shout out answers in class".

I think part of my problem is that a lot of my lessons aren't as well prepared as I'd like them to be. I always have to end up changing things by the end of the day, and I frequently get mixed up when too many things are going on. Another issue I might have is that I am young, and students think that means they can be friendly with me. I do enjoy bantering with students, but this ends up leading to disruption in instruction time (i.e. when a student says something witty and I respond wittily back, and everyone laughs), and while I'm talking with one or two students about a question that I find interesting, other students begin talking to each other and don't listen to the conversation.

I really REALLY want to be on top of my classroom management, and I don't want it to slip, but I don't know how I can ensure that I keep on top of it. It's difficult to have it all down this first year.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

During your prep time, can you observe other teachers? I would observe as many as possible, you will see great things, things to do, things not to do, things you might be doing, but you see it from the other side, etc. Once you find one or more teacher(s) whose style you agree with, try copying them, and then later on making those strategies your own.

I still visualize my master teacher from 2 years ago (he's 6 ft, ex-military), obviously I'll never look / sound like hi, but I do say things he said, use his strategies, etc.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2012

Your answers are right here
    . Do a lot of readjusting with the way you are handling things, and you can solve a lot of your problems. Being young is nothing to be taken as a minus! You let them know how it is, and stand your ground.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 6, 2012

I'm beginning to observe teachers during my prep.

I am trying to show that I mean business and I'm all about getting work done and learning, but I feel like I'm saying it a lot, and the kids don't take it seriously.

With consequences, I am giving out consequences regularly, but they're not really effective. I feel like with a few of my kids I really have to take the extra step and call their parents about it, or get the principal to sit in before they really know I mean business, but I almost feel that I might be doing it just to show them that I mean business rather than the student really earning that consequence.

It's also a matter of knowing exactly when a consequence needs to be given. All the teachers have told me to give students a chance to correct their behavior first, and when I give them a chance, sometimes I forget and they get away with it again.

I am trying to change my teacher personality, but a lot of it is part of my regular personality (being friendly, smiling, talking candidly sometimes with students). I might just need to get rid of the whole candid thing and get into a more strict working mindset.

There's just been so much going on it's hard to keep it all straight.

I also do find myself getting a bit frustrated when my lessons don't work out and getting flustered. Also with technology issues.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

If you have truely been clear with your expectations and consistent with your consequences, then yes, it is time to involve parents. When I go to my principal with a behavior concern one of the first things she asks me is "What have the parents said?" Partnering with parents is so important. Let them know what is going on!

8. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 6, 2012

Linguist has a lot of great ideas that are things that I do in my own classroom. You should try them out. I noticed that when I started making note of the students I give warnings to on my clipboard I was much more consistent with consequences. Plus a clipboard looks so official to students.

I would also add make sure you use good posture in class. Stand tall and balance on both of your feet. Point your toes toward your students. I noticed my second year that I tended to slump or slouch a little when I was standing and made an effort to fix it. When I notice my students aren't listening like I want them to I always check myself first. You have more of a presence when you stand tall.

Also check your tone of voice. I have observed over the years that teachers students listen to the most have a low even tone when speaking to students. I had to make an effort not to let my voice get a high pitch sound and speak more slowly.

This is my 5th year and I still have little things that I am working on with classroom management but it gets easier.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 6, 2012

Great stuff! I do use a clipboard because I use a 3-check consequence system. The problem is is that I don't have it on me all the time. I wander around the classroom a lot, and do a lot of gesturing or using the computer, or something else. I put it down and sometimes forget where I left it. When I pick it up and look around the classroom, it immediately gets quiet. But any time it's not in my hands, no dice.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2012

Have you looked into Whole Brain Teaching? The Scoreboard might be just the thing for you.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2012

I've researched it but it really just doesn't seem like my style of teaching.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 7, 2012

I didn't think it would work for me, either, but it really did. I haven't used it in years, but one year I was desperate with a group that was very difficult, and it was like magic the way it worked. Sometimes we have to do what fits the kids, even if it doesn't fit us exactly.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2012

True. I know last year I looked at the WBT stuff and KNEW my kids would not put up with it. But this year, they might because they seem younger in a way even though they're the same age.

These kids aren't too difficult, and I'm not desperate, but I DO want to really be on top of things and save myself from a difficult next half of the year by really nipping the side convos and blurting in the bud early on.

Today I wore a rubber band (loosely) around my finger to remind myself to immediately respond to inappropriate behavior. I feel I've been really effective so far. I've talked to kids privately, and have been really on them when they're talking when I'm talking. I've also been really on them about work.

The slacker kids are quickly learning that I don't put up with incomplete work or disorganized binders. x3 I really hope this year goes well.