Classroom management question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by KimmyBoo, Jul 5, 2006.

1. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Yeah it's me the new teacher again.... question for all you veteran wonderfuls. What kind of classroom discipline/management system do you use and how does it work? I'm trying to figure out a system that will work for my room.

3. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 5, 2006

I've done a few things. I teach second grade and I like to teach a lot of procedures and so students are not breaking rules, they just need to be taught the procedures again. I have tried the pulling cards thing-it didn't work for me. I use the standard name on board, check system. I use a token (first half) or money reward system (second half) and have a class store 4 times a year. I found students needed a change up on the rewards and in second grade by half year they are learning money pretty well.
    But again, teach a lot of procedures, little on rules.n If they can't do the procedures, they can learn them again on their own time.

4. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jul 5, 2006

I start the year with nothing!
    I first see what is broken and then fix it (respect, responsibility, etc)
    Some years I need to be more strict
    while others can be more laid back or even individual.
    Don't get me wrong,
    as they do need discipline day 1
    or you'll spend tons of time fixing it.

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 5, 2006

The first year 1st grade teacher across the hall from me had a zoo. She wanted to be the nice teacher, and on the first day of school didn't do any procedures, rules, modeling, etc. She did cutesy art stuff. She has the most wonderful ideas and didn't give up on anything but her kids were MONSTROUS.

1st week, work on procedures. Get the Harry Wong First Days of School book and look up procedures. They have ideas, and a listing of procedures to follow. Actually, I'm just remembering, I actually made transparencies of those pages and went over it with my kids. We did 10 a day and I had kids role play. I would say, "Let's pretend the office calls you, what do you do?" The kids would role play it. My discipline is I do the card system, but I had a really good group last year and kids rarely got on a C-F. The previous year, kids rarely got A's and B's.

We go over the rules and how you're supposed to follow it. Do procedures for everything:
    how to walk in a line
    how to get in a line
    go to the bathroom
    get passes
    use the computer
    wait for the computer
    take turns in the reading center
    what to do when you're done
    ask a question
    sharpen your pencil

My favorite procedure is my Fire Drill procedure. I didn't make it up, but I forgot where I got it from. Take a manila folder and open it. On the outside, I used ellison cutout letters and wrote FIRE DRILL. Then laminated it. The inside had my class rosters. I never had to fumble for my roll book. I kept the fire drill folder by the door and whenever the bell went off, the first kid was to grab the folder and open it up. The kids follow the folder and never have to guess where they are supposed to be...they get mixed up in the confusion.

There's so much

6. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

mrsnobles post is on the mark! Having procedures will take care of many potential discipline problems. While I strongly recommend getting the book, you could start by reading his columns. http://teachers.net/wong/

Another book I really like is Love and Logic for Teachers Go to the following site and scroll to the bottom to read some interesting articles.
    http://www.loveandlogic.com/Pages/0800teachers.html

7. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 6, 2006

I agree Love and Logic is great!:)

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

I use clip strips. I explained them in this thread and gave a sample of one. I've used this plan for about 5 years and it has always worked really well. It's teacher and kid friendly and consistent.

9. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I just bought the books on Love and Logic and Harry Wong's book. Thanks for the advice!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

They need discipline on day one yet you start the year with nothing in place? What's that mean?

11. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Discipline comes up every year, doesnt it? This year I am researching brain based learning and also have taken a look at this site: www.disciplinewithoutstress.com
    It focuses on looking at internal motivators. That is, getting
    kids to the point where they behave because they know it is the right thing to do. I find it difficult to use a system of stars or checks or pulling cards... for some reason...it works great in the beginning for everyone, and also for the majority for
    the entire year ... but I do worry about the kids who end up being frequent offenders. ..those who are unmotivated by whatever external motivator I have chosen, have parents who don't notice or don't care, and who misbehave for reasons that I can't seem to put my finger on. This discipline without stress focuses on four levels ofsocial development:

D Deciding to be responsible on your own
    (highest level of social developement)
    kind to others, does good because it is the right thing to do
    Motivation to be responsible is internal

C Cooperation
    (Appropriate and acceptable level of behavior)
    listens, practices and cooperates
    Motivation to be responsible is external... because a person of authority is present.

B Bossing or bothering
    (Not appropriate or acceptable)
    Bosses others, bothers others, breaks classroom rules

A Anarchy
    (Out of control behavior--- lowest level of behavior)
    noisy, out of control, or unsafe
    No one is safe or happy

I guess the philosophy is to discuss these levels of social behaviour with children, then post them. When there is a problem, the behvior is identified and discussed. etc Any thoughts about that?

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I am a Love&Logic devotee. It is a practical day-to-day type of methodology. What I love best is that you can tailor it to any age and situation. I was never very successful doing that with other methods. I am a stickler for rules so the fact that this one didn't really have any "musts" made it possible for me to customize it for my purposes.

14. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jul 7, 2006

Sorry CZACZA that didn't come across the way I meant it.
    I do not start the year with a management program in place such as green/yellow/red cards. I wait for that to be needed.

But on those first days I do not allow misbehavior either. I explain procedures such as raising hands, respect of others and such. Usaully just a good 'teacher glare' or comment like 'We do not use that tone in this classroom' works. When it doesn't work, I begin a behavior management program only when respect or responsibility begins to break down. Some years that never happens. Some years even management programs never work.

Also, I learned to use only a few cutesy projects those first days so that they respect me and my process instead of only like me and school.

Hope that makes better sense...

15. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

Another huge Love and Logic fan here! I am looking forward this year to REALLY implementing it from the start. Our class rules will be

1. I allow students to remain in my classroom as long as they do notcause a problem for anyone else.
    2. If they cause a problem, I will askthem to fix it.
    3. If they can’t or will not fix it, I will do something.
    4. What I do will depend on the unique situation.

I am doing this with 2nd graders! We are going to spend a lot of time problem solving and visualizing consequences. I can't wait!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2006

I am very strict on teaching procedures from the very beginning, and I have a number system with the board where I write the student's name as well as the number of the rule he/she went against.

Most importantly, though, I encourage an atmosphere where the students support and count on one another. They learn to be more respectful, understanding, and empathetic.

I encourage you to not open the textbooks for at least one week, and the procedures/rules/teamwork are all more important.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2006

Harry Wong really does have wonderful advice. :)

18. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 11, 2006

I was just wondering how many of you veteran teachers have their classes come up with the class rules or maybe like a class constitution. I am a new teacher, 5th grade, and was wanting to try something like this, but was wondering how it worked for other people or if you guys have any other ideas. Thank You!:)

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 11, 2006

In years past I have given the class the three rules of the school; 1)Respect yourself, others, and property. 2) Contribute to the learning environment. and 3) Follow all school and classroom procedures. We discussed what each of these meant as well as examples and non-examples of each. Then I broke the class into 3 groups and had them make a T chart explaining on of the rules.

Last year we came up with a class bill of rights and responsibilities (ties in w/ soc. st. nicely) such as "You have the right to learn....You have the responsibility to do your best at all times." We came up with about six of these.

20. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Daisha,

After teaching fifth grade last year I can tell you will get more cooperation from the students if they "buy" into the rules. I think it is a good idea to have them create the classroom they would like to come to everyday.

When I did it I started by asking them what kind of classroom they would like to be in and what kinds of things did they think would keep them from having that type of classroom. Then we created posters to hang around the classroom.

There are so many other ways to do it. The important thing is for the students to feel like a part of the process and that it really is their classroom.

Cathy

21. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I hope I am not coming into this conversation too late, but I will be a brand new second grade teacher this year, and my school is doing something called conscious discipline. Has anyone heard of it? I tried to look it up on the internet, but didn't get much headway. They wanted to sell the book!

By the way, I love the Harry Wong book and plan on doing procedures from there as well.

Cindy

22. limaca

limaca Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I posted on another thread to find an answer to this question. Maybe someone has a suggestion for me here. My question is, what can I do to manage behaviour that is unacceptable after I have gone over procedure and establish a classwide reward system for good behaviour. I don't want to use a name on the board with strikes etc. I would rather keep them in at recess and have them write out definitions of words that describe the behaviour I want them to achieve. I am looking for a system to warn them without centering them out. Any suggestions?

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 4, 2006

Christy,
    I like the idea of the clip strips. What do you do for homework?

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2006

I have small strips that they hang on the door if they owe recess (Just a sentence typed out that says "I owe Miss F recess because of _______________________. Then a space for their name and the date. They are required to ask the duty teacher to sign it.) If they don't have their homework, they automatically hang one of those on the door (I have a string with numbered clothespins so you can tell who owes recess.) I also have a small form (copied from Mailbox) that they fill out. It states that they didn't turn in their homework and know that it is late and that they won't get credit until it is turned in. I copy any that are turned in and they go home with signed papers.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the information, Christy! I am rethinking my plans for this year.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2006

No problem. I know there are a few forms involved, but I like the fact that they create a physical record of what is going on. I'm at school now. Here's the homework form that I use. (I also replace homework with assignment and use it for classwork/projects/tests not turned in (different colors).

27. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Love and Logic all the way for me! It's the best method I've ever used with my 1st and 2nd graders. I'll never go back to point charts, card-pulling, and all that stuff. It's awesome having students problem-solve for themselves and come up with their own consequences for behavior (both with my guidance).

The Harry Wong book is GREAT, too! :)

~Jaicie