Classroom management question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alyssa Duffy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Alyssa Duffy

Alyssa Duffy New Member

Aug 1, 2017

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and excited to join a great group!

I'm about to start my fifth year teaching. Each year so far I have been at a very different school, teaching different grades, in very different ways. ( preschool, peek, second grade, 7th/8th grade, and high school special education.) This year I am finally teaching the grade I have always wanted to teach- first grade!!
    I have loved every teaching experience I have had so far. I have helped my students, loved my class, and felt rewarded and confident that teaching is definitely what I am meant to do.

Classroom management has always been my biggest issue. I am the teacher full of smiles, jokes, and hugs. With teens, it sometimes seemed impossible, and it was amazing to me that I ended those years happy and sad to see those monsters move on- and miss them afterward!
    I am so excited for the next year but am looking for some classroom management tips for the younger students. I do not want to be overbearing or mean, but I know that the first few weeks will determine how my year goes!
    Any experienced teachers with any advice or strategies?
    Thank you in advance!

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2017

Model the right way, and the wrong way, of everything.

Teacherhere and Alyssa Duffy like this.
  4. Alyssa Duffy

Alyssa Duffy New Member

Aug 2, 2017

Thank you!! So true

5. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

If you haven't read the book Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's far and away my favorite--for new and experienced teachers. It gives concrete examples of easy-to-implement strategies that can help all of us. And it has video clips that show those strategies being implemented.

I know, I sound like a commercial, but I honestly love this book. Good luck this year!

6. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Aug 3, 2017

LOTS of modeling and repeating. Tons of praise - students will copy each other if they hear you specifically call out another student for doing the right thing. "I love how quietly Johnny is working" etc.
    Have the students practice every single routine you will have. "Johnny, can you show us how to walk down to the carpet? Great job! Let's see if the rest of table 1 can come to the carpet just like that."

Teacherhere and Leaborb192 like this.