Classroom Management Question

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by themilocat, Sep 19, 2011.

1. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

I'm a first year teacher who just started 2 weeks ago (school started on August 17). I was hired to replace a teacher that was moving. The previous teacher had set up routines and procedures, and the class was going along smoothly.

My mentor suggested I take a week and work on community builders and procedures with my kids during my first week, but the previous teacher wanted me to go on with the curriculum. Now, I am facing some behavior issues, and lots and lots of off topic talking, and I wish I had done what my mentor suggested.

Should I stop curriculum now to work on community builders and procedures? This would put me a week behind the other 5th grade class (we've been making lesson plans together and doing the same things).

The only classroom management system that was in the classroom when I started was a team points system, where teams would get points for working together, staying on task, and helping each other when necessary. On Fridays, the team with the most points get to eat lunch in the classroom.

Do you have any tips for classroom management for 5th graders (I've never worked with any grade above 3rd, and just came from working with preschoolers!)?

Also, any tips on handling the 5th grade attitude? How about the ones that want to argue about everything I say? I have one student who just grins whenever he does something wrong, and even the principal is at a loss for what to do with him. I also have 2 that are partners in crime, and we've been working with the counselor and principal on their behavior.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2011

When I went form 3rd to 5th grade, I remember how Dorothy said "Toto we are not in Kansas anymore, and I thought, Wow, I am sure not in 3rd grade any more. Discipline is more of a challenge in 5th grade.

If you are looking for the best way to improve your tough situtation, I'd get the book Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones tonight. Nothing has helped my discipline more. It is positive, firm, and very research based.

I think you might want to do 4 things in general.

1. Procedures, procedures, procedures-practice, practice, practice these.

2. Class reward system. Buy a stop watch or use the one on your cell phone. Give them 10 minutes per day for a fun educational activity. Time them how quickly they line up, get items out of their desks, get backpacks etc. If they beat the clock reward them with extra time. If they don't take off every second they waste. All it will cost you is to come up with an educational fun game each day where which will give them probably better review then the book. Fred Jones goes into far more detail than me in his book.

3. Individual rewards--even if they are just positive certificates home. It will help for each child if they are the problem or the one doing well. I won't get too into this--you have to decide how far you want to go with this--just keep your plan simple.

4. Consequences--you need to be able to teach, and need to give out consequences to the ones who won't cooperate. If the line gets crossed enough this should include contacting parents. The #1 reason I see teachers not giving out consequences enough is that they feel the consequence is too harsh. Therefore, choose consequences you can live with and you feel are fair.

4. An Individual success plan for your tough case. This is too difficult to explain in a post, but I suggest looking it up in the Fred Jones book. His is incredible, and works better than anything I've ever tried.

Good luck,

Kevin

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 19, 2011