Classroom Management & Procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Jul 14, 2015.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

How many procedures do you recommend for an elementary classroom? What do you do in regards to classroom discipline and classroom management? I'm currently taking a class on Classroom Management and it has really been helpful in regards to tips on how to manage a classroom.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 14, 2015

I have procedures for everything. Hard to put a number on it.
    How to line up, how to do centers, how to treat the classroom library, how to do morning unpacking, how to do go home pack up, how to walk in a line... and so on.
    Discipline is a little bit my way and a little bit school policy. I have my method, but have to make sure it follows the school guidelines.
    ETA: It's all about practice. Model and model again that first week (or more) until the procedures are just an everyday kinda thing.

4. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

Thank you so much! I have 10 to start off with, everything from entering the classroom, when you are tardy to class, morning routine, when you're absent from class, and so on. I know I will have to model and teach these procedures for the first week and so on. Do you teach your procedures in chunks, or do you teach all of them the first day of school?

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 14, 2015

I think it depends on the age. I had kinder, so we did them multiple times a day. We made class rules "together", but stuff like lining up took many tries. Of course, a class of 5th graders should know how to line up so thats something you wouldnt need to spend a lot of time on.

6. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

7. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Never assume a child knows how to do something. Model every procedure and routine until they can perform it flawlessly. Explain and model each rule and how it is broken so students are crystal clear on what is expected. Leave no stone unturned. Once this has been established, you enforce the rules and consequences consistently and objectively every time all the time.

Hold students to the highest standards and do not settle for less, ever! If it takes three months to get it right then that is what you do. If you accept sub-par behavior then you have just reinforced mediocrity in your classroom. Hold students to high standards and they will meet them.

8. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

I LOVE your suggestion! Thank you. It was completely eye opening for me. I want my classroom to run like a well-oiled machine, but I also want my students to know I am here for them!

How long have you been a teacher? How many procedures do you use in your classroom?

I want to be a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade teacher. I am currently working towards earning my teaching certification in Elementary Education K-6 in Florida. I have a BA in Social Science with a Concentration in Education. I am currently taking a Classroom Management course and hope to use some of what I've learned with my students this year. I am currently a Teacher Assistant, working with middle school students. What other advice would you have for someone who doesn't have a degree in Elementary Education, but wants to teach in this area? Once again, thank you so much for your input. It really put everything in perspective.