Classroom Management Plan?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Jul 18, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

What kind of classroom management plan do you use for kindergarten?

3. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

This past year, I used the color cards system, green-red for individual behavior, and a table tally system for table behavior (group w/ most tallies on friday got first pick for free centers), then a class system of smilies for hallway and special behavior, they get so many smilies they get the prize box.... It worked well.... BUT the individual plan focused a lot on negative behavior, and although I pointed out positive behavior, I am not sure how I liked it.... SO this year I am going to try something a little bit different. When a student is caught doing something right, they will get a ticket to write their name on and it goes into a box, at the end of the day the tickets are counted, and the student with the most gets to be "special helper" at the end of the day (help zip coats, check cubbies are empty, be line leader). We will see how it works.... I just want to try something that isn't focusing only on negative, and I'd like to reward positive behavior with something that gives them a sense of responsibility. Perhaps by the middle of the year I might broaden the rewards (take notes to other teachers, bring in a special book the next day, etc... not too sure though). ANY ideas or comments on this would help!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

I sue the color card system as well. If they are on green by the end of the day they get a star. After they get 5 stars they can earn something. In February I had them earning 10 stars. They were good and never asked for a treat b/c they knew they had to earn it.

FOr some children it did not work and I had to put them on their own individual plan that I used with their parents.

5. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

I like the ticket/responsibility idea. I used the card system last year and it didn't work for me either. I think I'll try your idea out. Thanks!

6. MLTeach

MLTeach New Member

Jul 19, 2006

AMK: I like your idea, but do you think this is too complex at the beginning of the year?

7. ptcgirl

ptcgirl Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

A slight variation

I did the red, yellow, green card system and did not like it. Parents and kids also felt on edge about what color would their child be on today. I like the golden ticket system. Kids on good behavior get a golden ticket to write name on and then those tickets are placed in the bucket. Instead of counting them out at the end of the day, I leave them in there and each day choose a golden ticket from the bucket. The student gets to go to the treasure box. Also the treasure box is used for students that were excellent all week long (no note sent home about problem behavior).

8. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

PTC- Can children earn more than one golden ticket a day? What if the same child's name is picked a few days in a row?

I've been discussing all of these ideas with my fellow teachers and we came up with one that I think I will end up using... rather than a ticket that the students need to write on (difficult for some in the beginning of the year) I will have a sticker chart for each child. If a child is caught being good then they will get a sticker. After a specific number of stickers (probably start with 10, then work up to 15, maybe 20 by the end of the year) students get to chose a coupon. Some coupon ideas we came up with include taking care of Misty the class mascot for the day (small beanie baby gets to sit by them), help feed Skeeter (class fish), bring in a special book to read or have me read to the class, have snack with the teacher, and other things of the sort.

Any suggestions/ideas/comments??!?!

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 22, 2006

It works for me and my kids. I am easier on them in the beginning of the year and slowly I begin to give to warnings more frequently. I always give them a chance to work their way back to green. I also have the kids color in bears of what color they are on so they can show their parents. If they didn't have a great day I send a note home just telling the parents what happened.

10. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 22, 2006

AMK, this may sound like a silly question, but how many color cards did you use? I'm thinking of possbily using this for my class. Thanks!

11. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 22, 2006

I use the four color star system. Green - everything is good to go, Yellow - Take caution, Blue - Serious, Red - Time for a note/call home.

Each day the children start out on green. I simply put a green star (with a marker) on the back of an index card and stick them in everyone's pocket (on a pocket chart). If they misbehave I ask them to please go and change their star, they then get the next color and put it in their spot. This gives them the responsibility for their actions. I don't pull stars for "little" misbehaviors, I generally pull them for hitting, throwing, swear words (only had that one once thankfully), things like that. I will occasionally give the opportunity to work back to green.

We use a blank calendar each month and my assistant simply marks a colored star on each school day as she's preparing the folders to go home in the afternoon. I have my parents initial the calendar as well so that they cannot say they aren't aware of their child having red stars or whatever (I've actually only given 2 red stars out before and they were well deserved).

12. ptcgirl

ptcgirl Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

PTC- Can children earn more than one golden ticket a day? What if the same child's name is picked a few days in a row?

I do give out more than a golden ticket to kids. I try to give them one for any positive thing I see going on or compliments they get from others. I make sure that kids aren't pulled repeatedly (yes, I peek before I pick). It works for me.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 22, 2006

I use green, yellow, orange then red. Honestly I have only had about 3 kids ever go to red b/c they have serious behavior problems. In the end those kids have been put on seperate behavior charts.
    Green is good, yellow is 1st warning, orange 2nd warning red 3rd warning and then they lose playtime - not recess. I don't take recess away unless the principal tells me to.