Classroom Management Plan

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by daisycakes, Aug 12, 2014.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for comments so far -- I've read them and made some revisions.

Context: I've been teaching middle school in a tough urban environment for 3 years. Now I will be teaching elementary school music (1-4). I know I will need to be more patient of disruptive behaviors. I would like to replicate what classroom teachers do, but I now realize there are at least 6 classroom teachers per grade. What do you think my plan should look like?

This is what I was thinking:

1st warning - verbal warning
    2nd warning - verbal warning and reminder of consequence
    3rd warning - classroom time out (5 min) and loss of end-of-class sticker.
    4th warning - classroom time out (additional 5 min) and call parent
    5th incidence - send to office

Questions:

1) Should I really be providing a reward at the end of every class? I will be seeing 100+ students/day....that is a lot of stickers!
    2) What are your other ideas, esp. for step 2?
    3) Is a 5 minute time out appropriate for grade 1?
    4) As a classroom teacher, do you like to be notified of when a student acts up in another class?

Thank you for your help!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

This is just my opinion...I think your consequences should be solely yours and not involve the classroom teacher or administration. When you give away your authority to another entity, you begin losing respect of your students.

When the students are with you, you are the teacher in charge. Rest assured, your students will always tattle to the classroom teacher about misbehaving class mates!

Also, you are giving two warnings before actually giving a consequence. Maybe you should just make one warning and then move on. Same thing with two time outs.

How about this for ideas:

!st offense-verbal warning
    2nd offense-loss of individual reward for good behavior (if you give stickers or something each class period)
    3rd offense- reflection seat (as a time out student sits in separate seat and writes a reflection about behavior and how to fix it). If you get to this point, the reflection may very well take until the end of class.

4. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

The only thing I'd be worried about is children associating the two--especially elementary students.

I wouldn't want them to associate punishment with writing. It's similar to how dog trainers insist on not using the dog's name when reprimanding them. "Orion, look what you did!" Or else even dogs will associate the two.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

I should qualify this. In a previous school, writing was a big component of the curriculum. Students wrote reflections daily in most subjects. Reflections were just that...a reflection of their thoughts, good or bad. They were used to thinking about their learning and putting their thoughts down on paper. In this way, reflections were not thought of as punitive.

6. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I would make it even simpler.

#1- Verbal Warning
    #2- brief time out or "thinking time" to think about what they did
    #3- lose sticker (or I would do stamps on their hands)
    #4 miss the rest of the music time (unless it is a super long music period that would make this too long)

If misbehaviors are consistent, I would talk to the classroom teacher without letting the student know. Just let him/her know and ask for some advice. And I would use the principal only for violent behaviors or other over-the-top situations. If your music periods are only 30 minutes each, this should work fine.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 12, 2014

Right, they are 50 minutes long, so I am struggling a bit for what to do if they act up more than 3 times....

8. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Well, when I was in elementary school, more so than going to the office, the most feared punishment was a letter or call home.

9. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

After acting up 3 times in 50mins, I would think it is time to talk to the classroom teacher. I don't need to know every time one of my students misbehaves in a special area, but I certainly would like to know if it was this bad. Chances are they have also had a bad day in class and some serious intervention needs to happen before they go home for the day.

I wouldn't even worry about giving a sticker everyday. I think they should be able to behave for 50mins. I believe in A LOT of praise, but I don't think it always needs to happen in the form of something physical and everyday. And like you said, that is a lot of stickers.

Our Music teacher does class points. I'm not sure how they are tallied up or what happens when they get a certain number. I do know that they are pitted class against class with "winners and losers." I don't necessarily like this aspect of it since my kids have came back to class telling me they are "losing" or that we need to beat Mrs. So-and-so's class. However, it is her class. I'm not going to tell her how to manage it.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Personally, I don't like rigid first warning, second warning kinds of plans. Kids know my rules but fair doesn't mean everyone gets the same thing.:2cents: