Classroom Management Plan-Help Me Find the Name

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Rosie1, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Jul 26, 2009

Last spring I was searching for ideas to handle some students who constantly argued and blurted out. I came across a plan that used peer pressure by encouraging the other students to "call" the blurter on his behavior. When a student blurts out, the teacher walks toward the chart on the board to give a demerit to the class;however,if the other students say, "That's not cool (or something to that effect) the teacher doesn't put the demerit on the board. The idea is that instead of kids laughing at the other students' bad behavior, they chastise them for it, and hopefully the behavior stops.
    My problem is that I can't remember the name of the program and, even though I have searched all over the internet, I can't find it. Does anyone know the name of this program. I would like to try it when school starts.

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Jul 26, 2009

Right after I posted this, I was looking through more posts on this site and found what I was looking for! It's the Whole Brain Teaching Program. I'm excited to try it!

4. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

Please let us know how it works. I am a bit leery about applying the peer pressure approach.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires but your method sounds promising.

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

It is Whole Brain Teaching you seek. Get more information for free HERE at the main website.

You can get a walk though on how to start, including a description of the GUFF COUNTER, the specific idea you are looking for HERE.

6. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

Where is it?
    (kidding)

7. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Hello everyone!
    Classroom management is a part of educational setting. I consider that if students are in a secure environment, then education can take place. Having the exact environment for all students to learn is my main goal of applying good classroom management--without it the students would not be able to learn. :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

Not sure why you would give a demerit to the whole class in the first place because of one student's behavior. Why not develop some behavior management strategies for dealing with the misbehaving student individually without commotion or embarassment? Whole class chastisement of one student's misbehavior sounds like mob mentality to me. That's just so not cool. (Plus some misbehaviors may or may not have organic causes- it's important to understand WHY kids misbehave and deal with that)

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching recommends giving the class extra minutes of a preferred activity when the misbehaving student actually does behave. That way, those who chronically misbehave can then become a "hero" to the class by earning the class extra points, and classmates then are very supportive of the student, who typically is not a popular person because of his/her behavior.