Classroom management paper

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mommy2KRJ, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Mommy2KRJ

Mommy2KRJ New Member

Sep 11, 2007

Hi everyone! I am finishing up on a paper on classroom management and just to make sure I covered all the bases I thought I would ask for input from all of you.

So, when you first started teaching how were your classroom management skills?

Did you come in with high expectations? Did that change?

How did you get it together?

What has been your tried and true method for keeping things running smoothly?

Any new ideas you plan to try?

Anything else I missed???

Thanks for answering and sharing!

3. preschool4me

preschool4me Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

So, when you first started teaching how were your classroom management skills?
    Awful! College does not prepare you for the classroom very well. All you want to do is go in teach and then you discover that the kids have other plans for you. lol.

Did you come in with high expectations? Did that change?
    Of course you have high expectations for each group but you have to wait and see what personalities come your way and adjust your classroom to suit them.

How did you get it together?
    I have had many good mentors who modeled good classroom management and some that modeled bad classroom management. I tried various methods and whatever worked I kept it and whatever didn't went out the window.

What has been your tried and true method for keeping things running smoothly?
    Consistency, fairness, observing the children and finding out what THEIR needs are, keeping them busy, and just giving them a lot of attention.

Any new ideas you plan to try?
    It depends on the group. My last group used up all my ideas and then some.

I don't know.

4. Mommy2KRJ

Mommy2KRJ New Member

Sep 12, 2007

Thanks!!!

5. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 12, 2007

So, when you first started teaching how were your classroom management skills? I think I tended to be reluctant to enforce consequences if the kids didn't follow directions that I knew they could. I also gave in more than I should when the tears started flowing..

Did you come in with high expectations? YES Did that change? No-My kids all have disabilities or delays, but I still expect them to follow certain rules. This is different from child to child, depending on their cognitive level, but I still expect each child's best every day

How did you get it together? I taught an English as a Second Language summer school class-19 kids and me. That really helped me understand the importance of enforcing my classroom rules and consequences. It also helped me plan my day better to avoid "down time" during transitions that lead to behavior issues.

What has been your tried and true method for keeping things running smoothly? Humor and letting my students know I love them. My kids are so young-some as young as 2 and developmentally, I have had kids functioning at a 6 month level. I am very animated, try to use puppets or exaggerated expressions, etc. to encourage them to participate in the day. Picking my battles and sometimes cutting up myself (I have been known to use a banana peel as a beak to encourage picky eaters to finish up lunch).I also believe in giving my kids hugs, high fives, etc. While I know that teachers have to be mindful of physical contact with students, this is not feasible (especially when we have to use hand over hand techniques with kids with autism). I should also note that I have been complimented on my bond with the the kids by both parents and my admin., as they feel this has made the kids and families feel better about attending school at such a young age.

Any new ideas you plan to try? This year I have tried hard to make sure that our daily routine is more consistent. While I believe in capitalizing on children's engagement to teach them skills, I still try to do the rest of our day's activities even if for shorter amounts of time versus just skipping over them.

Thanks for answering and sharing![/QUOTE]