Classroom Management Issues

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher05, Oct 8, 2013.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Oct 8, 2013

Hi! I am a first year K teacher. I have a room FULL of attention seekers.
    I have 3 girls who complain every day that something is "hurting" and they are "sick." I have tried every strategy in the book, ignoring, saying they are too sick for recess, listening/comforting them, nothing works and it gets soo bad they will burst into tears and disrupt the class. I've written one mom about it politely last week and she was just like oh she has a cold, I will monitor the situation. I wrote her again today asking if she was still sick as she is STILL complaining of sickness and crying and disrupting class. I really don't know what to tell theses parents politely that their child is causing me major problems. Then because I am having to deal with the criers (otherwise they will just sit and cry and not do work) my behavior problems will start to cry over something dumb (saying someone called them a name, etc.) just so they can have their "attention" too.

I have 1 boy who is a major issue. He basically is ANNOYING. He will call out answers and not raise hand, make comments out loud, bang on things, play with other students when supposed to be working, play with materials, not walk in line correctly, not follow directions, Basically anything he can do to be "cute" and "funny" to his classmates he does it. Parents are supportive and want to be emailed every day in detail about what he does. I do this, and yet the behavior does not change. Last week I even asked if there was something I could do in the classroom to support better behavior for him and I was told "we set goals with him at home." He liked to be a helper and I try to give him jobs but he does not do them responsibly so I have to take the job away. He again causes extra problems for me because he is a popular fellow and the other boys want to be accepted by him so they do what he does to a minimal degrees.

I have a class bathroom, but we take frequent bathroom breaks so I normally do not let my kids use the class one, however if I let a good reliable student use it who says they have to go and we do not have a break coming up, I will then get a behavior problem pipe in "I have to go too!!" When I tell them no, they will start doing the pee dance and crying saying they have to go bad.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Oct 8, 2013

Is there any way you could give a little more information on the topic?
    What does your whole group management look like? What reward and/or punishment system do you have in place? What about management on an individual basis? What does it look like?
    However, based solely on what you have written, my best advice would be to remain consistent. Try not to provide the children with any unpredictability in how you are going to respond to their attention seeking/misbehavior. Set a standard and stick to it.
    Also, double check the kinds of work you are having them do. Is it too easy for them? Is it too difficult? I've noticed that tasks that seem insurmountable to kids can sometimes cause them to act out for attention. If work is too easy for them, they get bored and can easily become a behavior problem.
    Seriously, good luck, and remember that it all gets better and easier the longer you do this.

4. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2013

In terms of the kids who are complaining of being sick, I would address that with the nurse/administration and document each time it occurs. If this is happening daily there could be an underlying problem. My instinct says to send them to the nurse each time they're "hurting" and see how it pans out then notify the parents. As you document it you can get a specific picture of exactly how big the problem is. Perhaps at this point, if it's multiple times per day or even just daily, the parents will get the clue that this is inappropriate and do something about it. If they don't seem to care then perhaps it would lead to a serious investigation via administration. By sending them to the nurse, even if it is excessive, you're no longer dealing with the problem yourself and then you'll have greater leverage on whether it's appropriate to discipline the students for taking advantage of the situation (if that's the case).

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2013

In terms of the kids who are constantly asking to go to the nurse, I would talk to the nurse and also the parents. My kids are a little older (2nd grade), but I do a lot of "kid first-aid" first. I give a bandaid when its needed (I keep a box in my desk), tell them we'll see how they feel in a little bit, or I allow them to get a wet paper towel to put on whatever hurts. A lot of the time it alleviates the problem. If they look really bad or it's an asthma issue, I send them immediately.

I've found that having a variety of behavior "programs" going on in my room helps. I have a classroom bingo board where everytime my kids receive a compliment from someone at school, they get another number pulled. When they get 5 in a row, I give them a small prize. When they fill the entire board (25 spaces), they vote on a big reward.

I also do individual behavior things. I have a traffic light system in my room complete with "behavior traffic tickets". I also give out "pawprints" which are a school currency that the kids can use to purchase things at our school store. With last year's class, I had several different point/sticker sheets going with my roughest kids.

A lot of my co-workers use the clip chart system in their rooms and like it.

What do you currently do in your room? What do you feel is working?

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 11, 2013

Yep. Sounds like Kindergarten this time of year. :)

For the kiddos who are constantly "sick" try giving them saltines. They might be hungry, and if that's not the case the placebo effect is always useful too. ;) You can then tell them, "If you still feel bad after eating the crackers you can go to the Nurse after we ________." That way they are not getting out of work, they feel as if they are being listened to, etc.

For the bathroom kiddos, I usually tell mine "You may go when ________ comes back." This isn't a direct "No" it merely makes them wait. If they have to go, they'll wait a minute or two. If they just want to go play with their friend, they'll probably forget about it when the other child comes back.

Good luck! :)