Classroom management issues H.S.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by justwanttoteach, Jan 16, 2015.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 16, 2015

hey everyone
    I am student teaching right now and I have some issues with two periods. My fifth period class seems to want to argue and got it for tat as often as possible, (it's classic task avoidance) here is my question: my instinct is when they do this, I want to keep them in after the bell until they :
    1) can get back on task
    2) settle down and be quiet for at least a little time. (As much time of mine they waste I feel they should have to make it up)

Here is the issue..student have to get to sixth period! I know I can't require that they stay in for a ton of time but seriously?!? Maybe a little bit? What do u do when a class in the middle of the day wastes time and get stay on task to complete work!?

3. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jan 17, 2015

In middle school we count when they get off task and that is how many seconds they have to stay after the bell. It is just enough time to put them behind the crowd in the hall and they won't have time to stop and talk to friends but they still make it to class without being tardy.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 17, 2015

I would check with school policy because this is adamantly not allowed at my school (which I support). The kids have five minutes to traverse a three story building and I would be furious if another teacher wasted my class time by holding kids. There are other ways to administer consequences.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 17, 2015

Holding students after class is a no-no in my school.

You could have them come in for before or after school detention.

I'd be more likely to derail the arguing as it happens and move on with class.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 17, 2015

I would consider after school detentions or lunch detentions. I wouldn't keep them between classes. It's hard enough in my building for them to get to class on time if they have to go across the building.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 17, 2015

Are they arguing with you or arguing with each other? If with you, don't respond, don't engage. If with each other, treat is as disruption, give them warning, call home, detention, etc. If it's a whole class issue, give more work for homework since they didn't finish work in class?
    Don't keep them after class, because they'll be late to 6th period, and the other teacher will not be happy (I wouldn't be).

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 17, 2015

It's a combination of both. It's not the entire class, but it is a pack of five of them. There are times when these five are awesome and can be Angels...and then they like to show off. Like I mentioned earlier I am a student teacher and they seem to think my instructions or commands (lack of a better word) hold no weight. They don't have to listen to me, when they can ask their normal teacher. Friday I had a come to Jesus discussion with them, and explained that #1 it doesn't effect me if they don't finish homework or class work...I HAVE my high school diploma. #2 I will not be taking into consideration incompete assignments or answers when students haven't been listening or following directions. if they were chit chatting or distracted by their friends and can't get their work done...sorry that's not my problem I grade what's in front of me on the paper and nothing more.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 17, 2015

I was going to say to pinpoint who are the ones who are really causing the trouble and work on them one at a time.

You can do whatever consequences are allowed at your school. For me, I might have them call home (MS, may not be as effective in HS), stay in at lunch, or more commonly, sit in time-out.

Since I work with 13 year olds, who are a bit old for time-out, I call it a 'Focus Desk' instead, where they sit apart from class and work quietly. This keeps them from interacting with others.

10. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Jan 25, 2015

Don't hold them after class. They'll hate you and never respect you if you do that and it'll **** off their 6th period teachers cause they'll all be late. Not to mention, admins usually frown on that sort of thing.

I had a similar issue when I was student-teaching. What I did was I told the class that each student's grade was going to be reflective of their classroom conduct. I gave out "good citizen points" every day. 10 points simply for keeping your phone away, staying in your seat and doing the task you're supposed to do. A few students thought I was bluffing so they got zeros for a few days.

After that, never had a similar issue.

11. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 25, 2015

I second what the last poster said a posiitive behavior plan can work wonders with kids. I just started one at the begining of the quarter based on behavior of the whole class. For per 1 and 2 it worked right away, and it took about three weeks for my mixed specialneeds general class to buy in but it works wonders now.