Classroom Management Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by queenie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

I taught (long term year long sub) in an elementary school last year (my first year teaching), and may be offered a middle school position this year (LA/Reading). I really liked my classroom management plan last year, but it won't work for middle school, so I was hoping you who teach middle school could share what you use for classroom management.

Thanks in advance!

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

4. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Power Teaching is absolutely amazing! I'm going to be trying many of these ideas next year and I can't wait! Good luck!

Oh, and this is pretty obvious, but my #1 tip is always to document everything! I can't tell you how many times that has saved my fanny!

5. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Never stop smiling. Ever when you discipline them. That's what my first principal taught me and demonstrated to me, and its never let me down.

1) They sometimes just want a rise, and they don't get that.
    2) I've had kinds get unnerved by it, say I act like a serial killer, and stop misbehaving. The same kids love me when I don't need to discipline, but there's something creepy about a teacher that never stops smiling. I actually got more respect from some of the other kids who noticed.

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

If you email Chris Biffle for info on step by step how to implement Power Teaching he is going to send you to me, his Answer Man. Check out my website on becoming a Power Teacher- step by step. It includes the link above, and links to all the videos on both YouTube and TeacherTube, and my blog on teaching methods, the Big Six (the basic Power Teaching components) and beyond.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Why won't your elementary plan work?

8. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Aug 3, 2008

The most difficult part of classroom management is figuring out what works for you! It has to be your personality. If it is too forced and uncomfortable for you, the students will know it and will work it to their advantage. My advice is to get online and read a lot and figure out what's YOU.

I, like the poster above never stop smiling. Students have also told me that I scare them because while disciplining someone, I am still my happy self. They don't stress me out (on the outside anyway!) and they behave. I also offer positive rewards and that gives them incentive to behave. I don't sit at my desk. I am up and around my class all day long. I do sit but, I sit among them. I have very few office write ups in a year and they are for big events like fighting.

Whatever method you use, make your message simple. They need to know that you EXPECT good behavior and will not settle for anything less. I demonstrate that I have way more stamina to enforce the rules of good behavior than they do to misbehave.

Good luck!

9. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I heartily agree with Pam's sentiment about not sitting at the desk. I never do. Took the stool away. I am always either directing, observing, or giving individual assistance.

10. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Rockguykev asks a key question. If you don't think your current plan will work for middle school, then identify what exactly in your plan won't work and modify it for middle school. That way it is still your plan and as Pam said, this is key. It has to work for you and your students.

Your discipline plan, as part of your overall classroom management plan, is probably where you will have to modify. You might want to find out if your school has a school-wide discipline policy or procedure. Otherwise, think about ways you will prevent, support, & correct misbehavior.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2008

I use Randy Sprick's CHAMPs program sprinkled with some ideas from the teachings of Harry Wong and Fred Jones.

Our entire school uses instructional discipline.

12. Alef

Alef New Member

Aug 6, 2008

Hi Queenie! It is really exciting to see sb so engaged as you are in improving abilities and skills in order to do better within the classroom. From my little experience, books and theorists are of great help but they won't do much if your ability of being flexible towards the different personalities and styles of your students. In my opinion, the old story about loving people individually, searching earnestly who they are and what they need is what really works. Our kids are very sensitive to these things Queenie, and you will have your rewarding for sure.
    When I perceive that a student is trying to challenge or test me, immediately I try to understand what is his or her real necessity. I have discovered a number of things. Very affectionate and respectful letters, nice words and... something very special from those eyes are not rare in my experience. Good luck in your experience. I do believe that you will continue the excellent work you have been doing so far at the elementary school. All the best :)

13. Jen

Jen Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

How do you like CHAMPs? My school is implementing it this year and because I was choosen (with others) to go to the workshop, I have to help teach it to our entire faculty:eek:!!!! I have read all the modules and it sounds like a good plan, but does it work? How did your school implement it? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated:help:.

-Jen