classroom management.. help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ellebrr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ellebrr

ellebrr New Member

Aug 2, 2009

okay I can't seem to come up with a solution to this. I teach 2nd grade, and this will be the first year we will be using a team teaching approach. My classroom management plan usually consists of having students change a card to another color after 3 warnings, however since our classes will be switching after lunch... that means i wont have enough space on my current chart for double the students I'm used to??... If anyone switches classes, has 2 or more sets of students.. what kind of classroom management plan do you use??

3. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Can't you do a chart w/ a front and a back?

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I just have class rules that the kids have to abide by. I don't use a system. My kids are 4th and 5th so they are pretty good at following school rules by now. The basics never change, no matter which school you attend. What grade are you?

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

When I taught 4th and we switched classes after lunch, I used one of those numbered pocket charts and each kid had a number. It was one persons job to switch all the cards back to the no warning color after lunch. That way I didn't have to worry about 2 sets of cards to flip and such...

Hope this helps!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

elle

Having team taught before, I know what you are talking about. You could of course just make two flip card posters, but I'm going to tell you one thing you may not have considered -- unless you actuall transfer this chart daily between the classes, both teachers are setting themselves up. What I mean is this. A student can get 3 chances in your room, and then go to the other and get 3 more chances. That is a lot of misbehavior in a day.

You and your co-teacher need to come up with a method that will work for BOTH rooms. We used an individual chart that was kept in the each child's binder (they took the binders with them from room to room.) We marked nothing if there were no problems, but gave checks (in ink) if there were problems, and wrote a brief note as to what the problem was, so the next teacher knew about it.

It just meant that if little Johnny was acting up in the afternoon class, you would pull out his binder, flip to the chart, and oh my! You'd see that he already had 2 checks from his morning teacher!!!! And the note says it was for talking and being out of his seat -- the same issue you are having.

It helped.

7. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Our 1st grade team switched for reading and we all used the same color-changing behavior system. To keep track of student behavior we created "green slips" that simply said: Today my reading teacher had to remind me of the following rule--

The students would give it to their homeroom teacher and that teacher would decide if the student would change their color, and the student took the green slip home to be signed by the parent.

Maybe something like this could work for your team??

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Rainstorm-that's REALLY smart!!!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2009

I've used a spreadsheet I made, put it on a clipboard, and the clipboard traveled with the class to specials, other teachers, etc. It was great for documentation and all the teachers knew how a child was doing. It was basically a color system on a piece of paper.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

This is the same thing my partner teachers and I did last year. We are switching to individual classroom management next year, not because I think it won't work, but because there are members on my team that are inconsistent with marking issues, or will skip steps in the discipline progression and give more severe consequences for minor issues. Basically it was more of a headache for some of us to have to clean up the messes of one person.
    I'm not saying don't do it, if I was working on a different team I would love to go back to using the clipboard. Whatever you do make sure that you and your partner teacher are equally consistent and invested in whatever plan you choose.

11. ellebrr

ellebrr New Member

Aug 3, 2009

Rainstorm you made a really good point I hadn't thought of.! Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. :D
    This really helped.

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

My first idea was the same as Teacherintexas! But you would have to be on the same page as your other teachers. No matter what system you use, it would definitely be beneficial to have all teachers using the same one.