Classroom Management Examples

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Luv2Teaching, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind sharing or sending me your classroom management plans!! I am hoping to interview for a kinder and first grade position soon and want to get some great ideas!!

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

I responded to your post below! Hope it helps!:)

4. carolinaaram

carolinaaram New Member

Jun 23, 2011

Maintain friendly relation with the student which will help you to maintain classroom silently.

5. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 24, 2011

I have done several things.
    In kindergarten I did a pull tag system. Students started out the day on green, and could move up to silver, or down through yellow, red, and then blue.
    Silver= a big sticker at the end of the day
    Green= small sticker at the end of the day
    Yellow= 5 minutes off recess
    Red= No recess
    Blue= Parent contact or office
    I had very few students move to red because I included silver in the system. I would move students up to silver, and those who were off task would see their peer move up to silver and get on task to try and move their tag up as well. I also tied in treasure box. Students could earn treasure box based on the number of days they had green or silver.
    For second grade I used an idea I got off of a teacher's website (can't remember who). Each student had a pipe cleaner taped below their name tag on their desk. I would hand out beads for positive behaviors and participation and they would put them on their pipe cleaner. At the end of the week we would do 10 minutes of reward centers (things like math manipulatives, computer, drawing) and the student with the highest number of beads got first pick of a center, then the student with the second highest number and so on. It worked well.
    This year I'm going to use tickets, which is an idea I got observing another teacher. She makes them out of paper and gives them out constantly throughout the day. She switched to tickets because they force her to give positive feedback and stay positive. At the end of the day the tickets go into a bucket and 5 names are pulled to go to the treasure box. This can go along with another behavior plan such as a behavior chart. If students are on yellow for the day and their name gets pulled, they lose the chance to get a prize. However, students do not have to put their tickets in the bucket at the end of the day. They can save them for as long as they would like. This helps motivate students to keep trying even if they move to yellow, since they know they can still put their tickets in the bucket tomorrow.

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

I use a red, yellow, green system. Each child has a stick (large tongue depressor) with their name on it. If a student has less than desirable behavior, I will ask them to go move their name to the next color. If they have to move to yellow, they get a warning. If they move to red, they lose a privilege. (silent lunch, xx mins from recess, etc) If the behavior continues, then they have to write a note home to their parents that has tobe signed (I have a form they fill in) and if needed then they also get a behavior write up that the principal and parents have to sign. Usually if the principal has to get involved, there are other consequences that he adds on as well.

7. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

Clip Chart System

I use the clip chart system where each child starts on green each day. A good choice can move them up to blue and then to purple. A poor choice moves them down to yellow, then orange, and finally red. I posted about this system on my blog a couple of weeks ago if you want to check it out.

http://fun-in-first.blogspot.com

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2011

• I have a conduct pocket chart on which each student has a pocket with his/her number. There are 5 cards: green=A; blue=B; orange=C; red=D; and black=F. Students put a green card in their pocket when they enter the classroom.
    • I also do a LOT of positive reinforcement activities. For instance, I have a business card with the numbers 1-10 on it. Each child is given a card (with their name/number written on the back), and I will randomly "punch" them (i.e., punch a hole over a number on the card) for good behavior, meeting goals, answering difficult questions, etc. When a student has all 10 holes punched, they get to go in my "treasure box" at the end of that day (and receive a new card).
    • Also, my kids will do ANYTHING for a Tic-Tac! In addition to being sugar free, many of my kids have horrible breath, so it's a bonus for me as well!
    • On Friday, students who have been exceptional are allowed to hoola-hoop just outside our classroom (we're on wings, with one door facing a breezeway & grass).

Just a few ideas...

9. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Hahahahah! I LOVE it! The other day I saw an idea online where a teacher kept a jar of skittles on her desk and called them "Power Pellets"... check the idea out here: http://mrswilliamsonskinders.blogspot.com/2011/01/power-pellets.html

It would be a cute idea to put the two ideas together... have a jar of tic tacs and call them power pellets...