Classroom Management during Movement/Music

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by preteach, Sep 17, 2012.

1. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 17, 2012

I am looking for some tips on how all of you deal with all those energetic little bodies during fun songs that require kids to move. I have a very busy group this year and songs are a little chaotic. For example, if we do a song with a bean bag, someone is always throwing their's across the room and then others follow suit. Or during a song where we are jumping, moving ect... there will be two who are running in circles. I don't want to do away with songs I have always done but I need a bit more "controlled chaos". How do you deal with this part of your day?

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Sep 18, 2012

From day one, I have made my expectations clear for when we do songs at the carpet. I always give reminders (hands to yourselves, dance in your spot on the carpet). Otherwise, yes, things do get chaotic and kids can get hurt. So my advice would be to give expectations, be consistent, and give reminders for those expectations.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2012

Maybe do some more structured songs during which they have to follow directions so you "control" the chaos?

Put spots or mark areas on the floor they have to stay within.

Mix it up - one free song, one structured, one free, etc. so you rein them in regularly before it gets too out of control.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

6. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 20, 2012

Sometime we just started when we do dancing is that all of the kids have to pick a red square (tiled floor) to stand on when they dance. We used to just dance on the carpet but our new group is very young and not as mature as our old group, so this works better.

7. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 20, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion :)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 21, 2012

Instead of bean bags, I used scarves.

9. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Sep 22, 2012

One thing I've done, that's worked really, really well with my 2s in the past is to play Greg& Steve's "Freeze" before anything else so the children get used to listening, following movements and then "freezing" it helps get them focused and makes it easier for them to listen I think. I also have a little chant I do before music& movement time:
    1,2,3,4 everyone stand on the floor.
    It helps them know where they have to be while dancing or doing rhythm activities. Hope something helps! :)

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

I agree with blue and dragonflym. Most of all, throwing bean bags is a great skill...just not inside and not when you the teacher have other plans. If they want to throw them, great....take them outside! A shower curtain with splats of letters to try to hit, or colors, or animals or something as targets. Throw, catch, aim, toss, correct ones aim, toss to a friend, toss and catch...these are all great hand eye. If they are working on these skills during the song.....change the song. Start with animal action and freeze by greg and steve and get the ball rolling. How does one move to the music? Let's explore the ways.....then move to scarves (moving to music with a prop) then move back to bean bags.....it is high tech stuff those bean bags....many steps are dropped....often!