Classroom Management by the book

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by TeachingLit, Aug 28, 2006.

1. TeachingLit

TeachingLit Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

School starts here on Wednesday. This will be my first year so I need some advice on classroom management. I've read both First Days of School and also Becoming a Teacher-A Practical and Survival Guide. As I read the first book, I felt it was especially geared for elementary students. I will be teaching 9th and 11th grade.

According to the first book, if a rule is broken, he recommends putting a name on the board with checkmarks following, etc. and if challenged by the student, to answer with You chose to break the rule. While I imagine it would be effective to this age group because students at this age don't want their names on the board for discipline purposes, wouldn't it be as effective if I just raised my hand and looked at him/her? Or passed by them and tapped the desk? The author also suggested giving the errant student a ticket --like a police officer would do if you were breaking the law--(-giving a ticket in case you felt the student would be too embarrassed for the name on board.)

I do agree with the author that if I am consistent in the beginning of the year with consequences to rule breaking, I will have better classroom behavior all around. I'm not throwing the whole book out because of this name on board issue. I just want to be an effective teacher and teach students.

Thanks to all who help with this question.

3. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I teach 7th grade, so I am not sure if this is going to help you- but I hope it does! :) I give each student 3 tickets as they come into the classroom every day. If they misbehave in any way or do not have homework, they must give me one of their 3 tickets. If they complete 3 things of misbehavior then they are sent to a team members room for a "time out". They have an assignment to complete while they are out of the room, and after class, I have them call home and tell their parents what happened in class. If you have great behavior all day you can earn more tickets- along with getting more tickets for being on task and completing assignments. At the end of the day I collect the tickets and do a raffle for a prize. The prize is nothing fancy just some candy or toy thing. The kids feel like they have been rewarded for doing the right thing and see when they are doing something inappropriate quickly!

PS: I know 3 tickets may seem like a lot- but I take them for the smallest things which helps them straighten up quicker. Also, I have the kids for a 90 minute writing and reading block.

4. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

i teach 9th to 12th- I would not suggest any tickets or writing their names down... they will think you are treating them like little kids. the book My First year as a High School Teacher...here is the amazon link helps:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761529691

For the most part high school students respond if you move closer to them. Also, stress respect- that is my main rule and most other teachers main rules. Check out love & logic to by Fay. Its amazing and REALLY works for high school students. ok good luck!

5. TeachingLit

TeachingLit Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I agree that putting a teenager's name on the board seemed childish--like I said earlier, I overall like what Wong says about procedures/discipline, but some of his suggestions are more focused and geared for the elementary schools. Thanks.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 29, 2006

I use Randy Sprick's CHAMPs management program. It's adaptable for all grades so it's not too "grown up" for the little ones or too "childish" for the older ones. I've used it with grades 6-12 with no problems. I like it better than Harry Wong . . . although several of the ideas overlap.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2006

I completely agree! Teaching with Love & Logic is common sense, and it works both with my kids at school and with my 5 and 2 year old daughters. Since I started using this approach (which my school has adopted), I no longer make the students' problems mine. I am much less stressed than I used to be.

8. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Can you explain "love and logic"?

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2006

Hmmm. Kind of hard to explain. Basically, it is a philosophy that puts responsibility for their actions on the students and urging THEM to solve problems (sometimes with your help) themselves. You can visit http://www.loveandlogic.com/ for more information or visit your local library to check out Teaching With Love and Logic or Parenting With Love and Logic, both by Jim Fay.

10. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Thanks

11. bmault

bmault Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

There is a HUGE difference between 9th and 11th. At least in my inner city school. 9th graders are crazy (new school, hormones, new kids) but by 11th they have clames down, the crazy ones are kicked out and they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Its all about envisioning your class and making it happen. Don't yell at them or single someone out. They are trying to get you off task, so take as little time as possible. Find out who are going to be your biggest headaches, talk to them the first day, call their homes, etc. Do whatever you can early, it will save you in the end.