Classroom Management and Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Sep 18, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I am a new first grade teacher struggling with classroom management. I use "one two three eyes on me," clapping, etc to get attention. I feel like I have to reexplain the rules till I am blue in the face. Some just do not listen. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm not sure how to introduce centers and run them while trying to do DRA. (assessing for guided reading).

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Sep 18, 2006

A good resource for you would be Debbie Diller's book Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work. She explains each center, lists the materials needed, tells how to introduce it, and gives tips for keeping it going all year long. For each center, she talks about management concerns and explains how to avoid problems. We ordered this book for all our K-2 teachers and they simply love it. It is a very easy read and reasonably priced if you want your own copy.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2006

I think that I will just copy and paste what I wrote on a previous post about what works for me as far as classroom management. Hope it helps.
    I also teach 2nd grade. I feel very lucky because I have a group of kids who know that I mean what I say and say what I mean. So when I say it's quiet time, they know it. What I did from day 1 is post procedures for getting my attention to avoid the calling out and getting out of your seat. I made a poster that says "How To Get The Teacher's Attention". I have a picture of a hand with 1 finger up then it says, I have to use the bathroom. A hand with 2 fingers up then it says, "I need the teacher's help", then a hand with 3 fingers up that says "I have something I would like to say". We went over this on the first day of school and the kids actually remember to use the signals during instruction and center time.
    So that cuts down on noise while we are in instruction. I also use the following signals to get their attention if they get too talkative or are off task. I say, "1 fish, 2 fish". Then they know to say, "Red fish, blue fish". That's how they know to follow the rules for good listening and do it fast!! I also use, "Hocus, pocus"!! Then they say, "Everybody focus" while making circles around their eyes with their fingers. They also know that I want their attention and I want it right away!!!
    I would say just have a community building discussion with them about keeping the noise level down and respecting others. Especially the children in other classrooms. Have them make their own classroom rules adding "We use inside voices" as one of the rules.
    Give them constant reminders during Morning Meeting. I try to have a Morning Meeting EVERY day to use that time for those type of group or classroom community discussions.
    I have also implemented a money system where they earn money for following the rules and staying on task. I also have a marble jar that I use. I explained that when the class gets a compliment from other teachers in the hall, the principal or when people visit our room, they earn a marble in the jar. When the reach 20 marbles, they earn a small reward or party like cookies and juice or something like that.
    Sorry so long, I hope this helps. Good luck tommorrow. It will all get better.