Classroom Management advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HandsnHeartfull, Apr 13, 2015.

1. HandsnHeartfull

HandsnHeartfull Rookie

Apr 13, 2015

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for advice as a college student in a practicum field. I've completed 130 total hours in the classrooms observing, assisting, and teaching. Something that I continually am running into is how to manage a classroom... when it's not yours.

I feel that because I am not the teacher there are many consequences that I can not hand out because I lack the authority to do so. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me get these lovely students to stay on track without excessive talking, disruptions, calling out answers, and other general misbehavior.

I have taken a classroom management class but I feel that my biggest challenge is being a guest in the classroom without any real authority (basically like a substitute). My last practicum lacked any structure within the classroom and it was just a very discouraging experience. I could really use any advice or words of wisdom for when I enter my next practicum (next year).

Thanks very much!!! :love:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2015

This would probably be a perfect opportunity to interview you cooperating teachers about their classroom management. You don't want to suddenly launch into something new if the kids already know Whole Brain or Love and Logic. Make that question a priority. I really wish I had done so when I was doing pre-service work.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

I like to mostly follow the routine of the status quo. You're welcome to tweak where needed, but familiarity can be your friend here.