Classroom Management Advice?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher05, Oct 1, 2013.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013

Hello!
    I am a first year K teacher. For the most part I cannot complain about my kids, I have no tantrums, hitting to be mean, or any extreme problems. I do have 2 issues I would like advice on:

1) I have two girls who fake sick everyday. Everyday every 5 mins I have to hear how they are soo sick and head, stomach, throat, etc hurt. They fake it to the extreme that they break down in a crying fit about it and do not do work. At that point since they are being disruptive I send them to the nurse, she keeps them for like 20 mins (they are very persuasive in their faking with the crying, hyperventilating and all) and then will send them back with nothing wrong with them. They then will continue to say they are still soo sick and put their head down and not to work until I basically have to threaten them with a consequence. I do acknowledge they are sick and tell them to go tell mommy when they get home b/c I do not have medicine for that here at school before they begin the crying and will listen to their " sick problems" because I realize this is an attention/need mommy nuturing issue but listening is not solving it. Besides their "sickness" these girls are both very well behaved in class. I sent notes home today saying their child has been "sick" everyday and missing out on learning, so we will see if the behaviors continue, but I think they will because this goes on everyday and what are their parents going to say? Stop being sick? Another issue I have with this is I have a lot of copycats who think they are being "cute" when they see the girls being sick and will put their head down and say how they feel sick too, however their behavior is not as extreme as the girls because they know I know their faking, but is very distracting dealing with both the girls and the copycats every single day.

2) My class talks A LOT and NON STOP. I have like 5 or 6 students that no matter where I put them, they will talk to anyone. The severe offenders are put next to my extremely shy/good ones, but they will turn around and talk to other tables or across the room during transition times, quiet reading time, anytime that I ask for there to be no talking while working on an assignment. I have consequences of moving clips and the talking will stop for about 5 mins, then continue, its not just 5 or 6 kids, its like 19 out of a class of 22. I use positive praise and offer rewards to those who listen to directions the 1st time (no talking) but that does not seem to help. Most of mine want "jobs" and I have told them several times that those who get jobs follow the classroom rules and still the talking continues.

If you have any advice please share!

3. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 1, 2013

I'm struggling with talkers also...even in 4th grade! haha

4. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Oct 2, 2013

I tell my fakers to put there head down on their desk and close their eyes. Then we do a really fun activity. Usually they are suddenly healed and join us. If not, I leave them there until they get bored. Put a box of Kleenex on their desk and place a garbage can right by their chair. Then they can cry and not have to get up out of their chair.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

If the nurse keeps them for 20 minutes, it seems to me as though maybe she sees a reason to keep them.

Have you spoken to the nurse? What's her reason for keeping them?

I would let natural consequences kick in. If they're that sick, then I would suggest a quiet recess-- no running around.

6. Tim89

Tim89 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

Try no to pay attention to them. It's hard but go on presenting your material. Your main aim is to provide them the material and if they don't want to listen, it's only their porblem. Probably, such behavior will not help them on exams.:huh:

7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 3, 2013

As far as the two criers go, I would sweetly say something like, "It's too bad you aren't feeling well. Smilely the puppet is going to read us a story, and she'll be available for students to play with during choice time, but Smilely won't want to play with sick students. Let me know if you feel better soon." You could also have a lesson on covering sneezes and spreading germs, then tell the sick girls that you want them to stay away from the group until they feel better. Praise them when they manage to get over their illnesses. After a while, this behavior should fade.

Some classes are more chatty than others. I send my student teachers to this blog
    for ideas on how to get better control over chatty classes.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2013

Class dojo which is a behavior management program on the internet is working great for my talking class. Some sort of reward for those not talking. My parents love the class dojo. They can log on anytime of the day to see how their student is doing. It also sends emails out every Friday if the parent signs up. You could put something in there about crying and so those parents can see how many times and how often and at what time of the day. You can keep track too. You can use it on the internet or there is an ap for it as well.

9. live

live Companion

Oct 3, 2013

For sick kids, I usually ask them what's wrong and show I'm concerned. Then I'll tell them to sit down and relax a bit because they might feel better after we sit a while/get drinks/get fresh air/eat lunch/etc. I tell them to let me know immediately if it gets any worse.

If they never tell me, then they either actually feel better or they forgot they were "sick."

If they tell me they feel sick or it got worse, I send them to the office.