Classroom Mail Center

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I am in need of a new slotted classroom mail center for filing graded student papers. The one I have now will not accomodate the large class I will have this year as it only has 20 slots, and I don't know where to buy a sturdy one that won't break the bank. Really good stuff has a cardboard one for $49.99 plus shipping, but I don't know how sturdy it would be for use over multiple years. Can anyone recommend where to purchase something for this purpose? I think I need something for around 26-27 students.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Sorry, I took the plunge several years ago and bought a plastic one from Office Max. Then the next year or 2, I bought another one. So now I have 24 slots that will last forever. They are expensive though. About $70 each.

Another teacher has a cardboard one and it seems to be lasting, but she doesn't have a lot of papers going in & out (special ed).

4. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

karebear:
    We have called my daughter "karebear" since she was born, 21 years ago. I always love seeing your posts. :)

6. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I got the carboard ones from office max a few years ago and it holds up nicely! I had to buy more though, only because my class it getting bigger. I think that as long as you don't put anything on top of it, it should hold up well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I got two large wire "mail organizers" from CostCo two years ago. Each unit has 12 large spaces for documents. They were probably $35 each and take up a lot of space, but I LOVE them and they're spacious enough for library books, t-shirts, book orders, etc. to fit and still are eye-level for the students.

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

I have the one from Really Good stuff, it has held up for about 10 years!

9. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Not very exciting but I use a crate with hanging folders for my mail center. I do like it because I can move it to my desk to put the mail in and it doesn't take up much space. Very inexpensive!

10. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Is it easy to relabel students' names each year?

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

yeah, I just use some adress labels and either stick them over last year's or peel and restick a new label. I do have a couple of the tabs that came off, but I restuck them with book binding tape. After 10 years, it is a little worn - but I still totally use it

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I have a ReallyGoodStuff one- I think I'm going on year 5 with it...

13. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Another option to consider: if you use numbers for your students (i.e. 1-20) just number the labels, then it is the same every year. You just reassign the numbers for each group of students.

A colleague also uses the hanging file idea. It works just as well, unless there are large items to go home.

Punchinello ~ Thanks! It's been a nickname of mine for a long time.

14. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 28, 2009

How to you use those mail things? Is it to hand back papers for them to turn in papers. What is it used for?

15. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I was going through the same thing. I found today at Target for $1 and hanging organizer (almost like a pocket chart) that has 4 pockets that are big enough to put paper in. I figure if I buy 7 of them and a clothes hanging rack (about $10), I can spend less than $20 and have a pretty cool mail center to hand back papers.

16. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Great idea

I inherited a heavy old wooden mailbox my second year of teaching and I love it. But, your idea is great.

Mrs. Mom-if you decide to do the crate idea for mail, you could use your other mailbox system as a paper center. I have another organizer that I inherited for my construction paper.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I do this too and because my kids papers are put in number order I am able to set the crate on my desk and drop the paper in the file as it is recorded. My kids have file folders (the manila kind) that sit in their hanging file and I am able to drop them and their folders are stuffed at the same time.

18. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

I used an idea from a teacher on my team. She had purchased 20 stackable plastic paper trays and used that.

Here is a pic of how I set them up in my room.
    [​IMG]

I just had a problem keeping up with them :)

19. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I also use the stackable plastic trays as the above poster shows. I bought them my first year of teaching 13 years ago, and I will be using them again this year! I wipe them off and reaffix fresh name labels each year. I like them because the space to put papers in are very large. I can also pass papers very quickly because I don't have to fuss with the size. I highly recommend this method!!!

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

I bought a heavy wooden one at Office Max two years ago. It's really sturdy. It costs about $70 but my school reimbursed me for it. I just couldn't see myself spending money on the cardboard ones.
    I relabel every year with label stickers. I have the old class label the boxes for the next class. (We get our rosters at the end of the year)
    I keep a plastic tub next to the mailboxes to throw in graded papers and stacks of mailings that need to go home. One of my classroom jobs is mailboxes. Kids file papers into the mailboxes. I tried doing it myself one year and found I just didn't have the time or the patience to do it.

21. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

My teammate uses one of those shoe organizers with 24 pockets that you hang over the door... she writes their names on sheets from a cute themed notepad and sticks them inside so they're easy to change. Papers have to be rolled up to fit inside, but it works for her and takes up zero table space.

22. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

We dont have a lot of space for mail centers so my partner and I use the pocket chart kind that hang on the wall. They are very durable. The downfall is that they are a little tough if you are going to have the kid put paper in them.

23. classmom

classmom New Member

Sep 4, 2012

NUMBERS!

Each year, our teacher gives the child a number (they've been doing this since Kindergarten) They label the mailboxes with numbers, that way they don't have to change out the names each year. Their number is given to them according to their place on the roll alphabetically. It is so simple for them to remember their numbers (even their cubbies for their bookbags are numbered. *they get a new number each year, as they aren't always in the same class with the same students.