Classroom Library

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by miss jennifer, Jul 17, 2009.

1. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I am a new first grade teacher. I am beginning to set up my classroom. How do you set up your classroom library? Do you use baskets/bins to put your books in? All the first grade teachers in my school do this. How do you divide your books - by subject, by author, by alphabetizing or a combination?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I use baskets (actually I use clear tubs but many use baskets). They are currently being stored in their tubs in boxes in my room. As I prepare for school I will mix two tubs together to create a mix and set a tub at each table. Early finishers will read the books from the tub on their table. Each day I will rotate the tubs to the next table. During this time, the library is empty. After the 1st week, each table with sort the books in their tub...(I purposely have two obvious types in each tub!) and we will begin to put the tubs on the library shelves. For example, one table may sort their books and realize that some of them are all by Dr. Seuss and others all have awards on them. We will put the Dr. Seuss books in one tub and call/label it the Dr. Seuss tub and the other will be the "Award-winner" tub. And we will put it in the classroom library. I might purposefully plant a Dr. Seuss book at a different table to see if they realize that it should go in the Dr. Seuss basket as well. I believe this gives them ownership of the library and helps them understand the various buckets. I don't know if any of this makes sense!
    I only start with a few tubs and gradually add more to the library (I'll just introduce the new tub) as the year goes on to spark more interest!
    I have various tubs - Dr. Seuss, Animal books, award-winners, Marc Brown, chapter books (I add this tub later), ABC books, Number books, Little Critters, etc...we pretty much decide as a class what to label the tubs. I also have another library in a different spot in the room for leveled books.
    HTH!

4. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

6. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I can't take credit for this one, but I love it. I sorted my books by reading level, and put a colored tag (using a strip of clear laminate) on the top of each. Books then went into bins with matching colors, and my kids knew which bin(s) they were able to draw from during silent reading time. An additional bin held magazines like Zoobooks. I also kept a separate rack of about 30 library books (based on the social studies or science topic we were studying) at all times, and they could draw from those as well, under supervision.

7. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Thanks for all the help and resources. I am just feeling a little overwhelmed in trying to get my room ready. I only have 2 1/2 weeks until school starts.