Classroom library?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kstar03, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

What do you think of a class library at the 7th and 8th grade level? Or is it better to be using the school library at this point?

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I am teaching 7th grade LA and I have a huge classroom library. Some of my students use it often, some hardly at all. The point is it is there if they want it. Also, they are surrounded by literature as they write their own.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

This will be my first year teaching middle school and I plan on having a classroom library for my students. The school library is pretty sad (the principal told me that last year the library was in a closet!!) so I want to give them the opportunity to "check out" books right from their classroom.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

I keep some books in my classroom, but not many as I'm a math teacher. I keep stuff like detective novels (logic, science) and math-related non fiction. I plan on making all of my classes do a presentation on a famous mathematician at some point, so I want them to have ready access to information.

6. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I have a classroom library and like someone else said some kids use it and some don't. I think it's important to imerse students with literature, no matter what subject area you teach. My classroom library isn't has big has what I want it be, but it's growing slowly every year. BTW, I also teach 7/8 grade Language Arts.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

I think having a classroom library is important for your grade level. Kids need to see that reading is important to you. There also may not be a very good selection in the school's library, or it may not be updated often.

8. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Although my school has a great media center, I still work very hard to keep my classroom library full of new books. It's important to me that my students have as much access to books as possible. Plus, I ofte use my bonus points to buy a book that I know a particular student will like - something our librarian cannot do with the number of students she deals with. I find that my students read more books from my classroom library than from the media center.

9. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Thanks everyone for your input. I actually put a bid on some young adult books on ebay to start my library... I actually won!

10. MissAinCA

MissAinCA Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I'm probably only reiterating comments that have already been made, however, I absolutely love classroom libraries! They are very effective at any and all grade levels for a multitude of reasons. However, the first reason that I thought of when I read your post was that (sadly) it is embarrassing for many students to be seen in the library on their own free will at the junior high level. A classroom library would encourage more reading opportunities for the student who might be hesitant to be seen in the school library. Also, classroom libraries can be geared towards the specific makeup and interests of your classroom. Overall, I feel, it is a wonderful way to encourage reading and incorporate the use of various genres across curriculum.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

Oh, my kids also like "where the sidewalk ends", by shel silverstien. I actually went out and bought two more copies of it because they were always asking for it.

12. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Absolutely! Just make sure you keep receipts for all of your books. The kids in my room always use the library. Whenever I put out new books the kids swarm them. Even though I have multiple copies of some books, ultimately there is a waiting list.

Also, some students have fines in the library and can't check out books.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2008

I think it's always a good idea to have a classroom library. I have some books that the library doesn't have, and I get some new books before the library does.

Plus, there are always kids who forget their books or aren't allowed to use the school library.

14. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Try your Public Library they usually have a section of books for sale that patrons have donated-real cheap-like .25 cents apiece. Don't forget garage sales and asking friends for their kids left overs-I have tons of books and doubt if I have bought more than 10 of them

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

That is so cool.:cool:

16. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I'm starting to build my classroom library, since I'll be a new teacher this year. This morning I went to a library book sale, and got a box full of books for $3!!!:eek:hmy: I just counted, 41 books, not to mention four others that my 5yr old picked out for herself!

With a classroom library at a middle school, should I have some type of check out system? Maybe a sign out sheet?

Thanks.

17. MissEducated

MissEducated Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I am teaching 8th grade English/Reading this year, and I am very fortunate that the previous teacher in my position left me almost 200 books for my classroom library. I'm just wondering, what kind of checkout system do all of you use for your library?

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

If you have space for it, a classroom library is wonderful!

I have a large bookshelf packed with books pertaining to the Classics. Many of the books are written in Latin or Greek, which is why I like to keep them around for students to peruse--our school library certainly doesn't have books in Latin or Greek (few libraries do). Besides those ones, I also have a variety of books about ancient mythology, history, geography, and life & customs.

I really believe in the value of books--actual, tangible books whose pages you can turn. Especially in a subject area like Latin, most research needs to be done with your nose in a book, not just online.

Next year I'm implementing "centers" and I plan to have the students make heavy use of our classroom library.

20. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I think a class library is a brilliant idea; I know of a few teachers who have gone that route and it works quite well; many kids won't go into the main library (looks geeky) but will get a book out from the shelf at the back of the room and borrow it from you.

I'm in a similar boat Cassie - many libraries don't have Media related books either.

21. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I just have a cheap notebook with columns for: Date, Name, Title, Book #. The students fill out the notebook themselves.

When they are done reading a book, they just drop it into a plastic tote. Then at the end of each day, I put the books back on the shelves and use a highlighter to cross off their names. I usually start getting after students to return books after 3 weeks.

22. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Great idea, Crayonfan! I think I may "borrow" it

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I love having a classroom library! I have a lot of historical fiction (because I love them) and a lot of Newbery winners (because they are required to read one) but I also have a lot of "junk food" reading materials. Garfield, sports books, Matt Christopher, Star Wars, etc. are not going to win awards but if it keeps a kid (boys especially) interested in reading, it's worth it. I also have a study hall and it's wonderful to have reading material right in the classroom.

24. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I'm a grade 7/8 homeroom teacher and we still have Silent Reading everyday. So yes, I have a classroom library. Kids will often come up and ask if they can take books home with them (I especially love it when a non-reader asks!!!).

I have no formal system - I was going to try to make one like a real library but had no prep time for it. I just use a notebook but sometimes students forget to sign which book they have, or they switch books. I do try to walk around and see what they are reading so I can see when something goes missing. It is not the best system - every year a few books walk . . . :unsure: