classroom library

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teach4christ, Jul 24, 2008.

1. teach4christ

teach4christ Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I'm new to third grade, and in the process of setting up my classroom library... any suggestions?
    Specifically I'm wondering about grouping books by genre, organizing by level, keeping chapter books and non-fiction books separate, etc.
    I also wondered about the best kind of "library" seating... I have two over-sized (huge really) stuffed dogs that I used in my kindergarten classroom library (students laid on them to read) but I didn't know if 3rd graders wouldn't appreciate that!?! I don't have room for a couch or big furniture, but I wondered about bean bags.
    Any recommendations or lessons from experience would be welcomed. Thanks!

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2008

I have my books grouped in a number of different ways: some are in tubs according to genre, reading level, series or favorite character, and topic of study. I do keep chapter books separate from all others. Bean bags would make great seating and believe me when I say that third graders would LOVE those giant dogs as seating options. You'd have a hard time keeping them away from them.

4. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I've taught first grade for three years, but next year I moved to 3rd grade. I went in circles trying to figure out what to do with the library. I decided to do book bins like the previous poster recomended. They are by subject, level, character, ect.. I also have a forward facing bookcase full of picture books and a short bookcase for chapter books. I think all kids want to be comfortable in the library, so i'm sure they will love the dogs. My class theme is "Hounddogs" and now i'm wishing we had a few giant dogs for pillows,lol. My library has a rug, 2 bean bags and a chair that they "drop into".

5. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I like all those ideas! Wow, you guys are good

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 25, 2008

I thnk that third graders would love the dogs to read on! I wish I had more space to make my library area more roomy, but I don't. My library is organized by levels, just b/c I don't have enough space/time to sort out all my books into genres. All the other teachers in my school do their libraries by levels, so it's an arrangement my students are used to.

I do give them each a ziploc gallon bag to put their books inside though! It really prevents unnecessary wear and tear!

7. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I previously had my books organized mostly by level (picture books, chapter books, and nonfiction books in different sections). This year I think I am going to organize them mostly by genre. I will also have baskets for series though and themes from our basal reader. My 3rd graders would love the dogs! We had large stuffed animals like that in the media center of my former school. All the kids loved them - even the 5th graders. The biggest problem will be taking turns. :)

Tip for anyone setting up a new library: Check Goodwill and Salvation Army for used books. I have gotten amazing deals at Goodwill the near me. Once I found 16 hardcover American Girl books for $1.00 each. Paperbacks are cheaper. Be careful though it can be addicting.