Classroom Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thomps6, Jul 13, 2008.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I am in the process of organizing my classroom library. Would anyone like to share how they keep track of the books and the check-out system they use? Also, how did you label the books (outside cover or inside and how?) Last year, I had books on the shelf and the students borrowed from the shelf. I never really kept track of them. It was on the honor system. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!:thanks:

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

In most of my books, I have written my last name on the inside cover. Some I have done on the front, b/c they were given to me by another teacher and I crossed off their name and wrote mine. I don't do a check-out system. They have stickers on the books that match the baskets, so they just look at the stickers and return them to the correct basket. This year, I plan to make a spreadsheet of all of my books, which basket they are in, author's name, topic, teaching points, etc.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I write my name with a black Sharpie along the binding right on the front of the books. I got tired of opening a million books my first year to see which ones were mine.

I used an Excel spreadsheet to catalog mine by title, author (last name first), AR/reading level, Fiction/N-F, Topic(s), and misc (I have over 150 books on tape &CD and now working on Spanish). You can sort by any column. (I just recommend saving/making backups when you get as many as I do. I'm a bookaholic.)

Recently V.Levin turned me onto www.librarything.com. It costs a little to put in more than 200, but I like it. If I were starting now, I might use it. I figure I spend more $ at Starbucks than I would for a lifetime membership. I would only worry about the website losing my hard-work. Who can guarantee?

I don't checkout in the room, and I only let my Pre-K kids take home garage sale and Friend of the Library books. They don't cost much so not much lost if they're not returned.

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Front of book upper left corner-file folder label with genre

Spine (bottom)-AR level sticker (if book is AR) school wide color system

Back of book-Last name in sharpie marker

Inside front cover- Book Level and AR points

BL 5.2
    7 pts.

For checkout-Each student has an index card with their name on it. Title of book is written on card and filed in a pocket chart behind my desk.

oh-for the most part my books don't go home. They are just checked out into their book boxes.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

I keep a list of books, but did not use a check out system (I will this year- not sure how- but I lost 50 books as a 1st year teacher- which was 1/3 of my books :mad:).

As for labeling my books, I take a Sharpie and write it on the top right corner of the cover.

7. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 13, 2008

First, I put all of my books in an excel graph with name, author, #of copies, and what color dot the book has. All of books are in certain baskets with color dot stickers that match the dots that are on my basket labels (Ex: In my basket about dogs. I have a blue dot sticker that has the letter d on the label. All of the books in the basket have a blue dot sticker with the letter d on it. It makes it easier for the kids and I to organize and keep track of the books) The books in my library usually are only read in the library. The students usually have book baskets on their desk for them to read. They are allowed to check out books in the school library and I stress the importance of going to the public library to the parents. This way the children have access to books at home and mine dont have to leave the classroom. I put a lot of money and time into creating my book collection and I want to make sure that I keep all of my books for a very long time. Also, I bought my color dot stickers from the dollar tree. I also use the star stickers when I run out of color and code combinations. I hope this helps! Oh and I bought stamps and address labels from vista print that says that This book is property of Miss .....

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

I am putting the basket title (Dr. Seuss, Magic School Bus, etc) on the front left corner (if it fits - otherwise it's on the back) of the book using a return address label. The GR level goes on a color code dot on the upper right corner. My last name goes in the inside cover (although I like the idea of putting on the outside so you don't have to open books!).

For checkout, last year I made a poster with library pockets and each kid used an index card to write the book he/she checked out. Once returned I'd cross out the book and initial, then the child would put the card back in the pocket. This year I'm going to use an idea from Nancie Atwell. I'll use 4"x6" cards that I print the child's name on. Each will have a title, date, and checkmark column. (I'll print from my computer on blank index cards.) The cards will be kept in a photo box in the library. Students will write the title and date on the card, then, when returning the book, I will initial its return (until I can get a "librarian" to do it). Then the book will go in the returned book box and the cards back in the photo box.

9. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions! This gives me a lot to think about! I appreciate hearing your experiences! Have a great school year!

10. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I love the checkout suggestions. I want to implement a checkout system of some sort this year.

I also have my parents sign a form that if their child borrows one of my books and it is lost or damaged, they agree to pay for it.

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

We do the form like you mentioned at my school, too. I've had to use that only twice, but it does help cover expenses for lost books.

12. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I have used Victoria Smith's Kinder Korner for various projects. She was one of the first web sites that I found to really help me 8 years ago when I went back into teaching (AtoZ... was another!). She also gave me courage to write my first grant (I've been awarded 2 now!!).... I have a hard time finding things now, but I still go there when I have time... With that said, I've used some of the wording from her Home Reading Connection form when I taught older students and sent better books home. I'm struggling to find something that will work for Pre-K, but getting there... They are SO hard on books.
    http://www.kinderkorner.com/homereading.html