classroom library??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Jen, May 2, 2006.

1. Jen

Jen Rookie

May 2, 2006

Now that I will be teaching 7-8th reading, I need ideas on how to set up my library. The teacher I'm taking over for, said she had a problem with books disappearing. Does anyone have a good library set up and a way to help books stay in your library?
    :love: Jenn

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2006

I put pockets and library cards into all of the books in my classroom this year (actually the students did it ;) ). The students sign out any books which are going into their desks or home with them. About once each week I read through the cards to ensure that they don't forget about books they have.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 4, 2006

I also have library cards in all of my books. My husband was nice enough to do that for me one summer while I was setting up my classroom. He even wrote down all the titles and put them into a database for me. If the books are going to leave the classroom, the student has to check it out with me. I use the same policies as the librarian does with the school library, so that makes it easier for the kids to remember when to bring them back. I have mine divided by AR level as well. Sure, I have a few books every year that disappear, but not many.

5. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

May 6, 2006

Books

I ask the students to write the name of the book and their name on a scrap of paper. I keep them in a basket, and now that it's the end of the year, I am checking to see if the book is on the shelf, and if not, I ask the student about it. I have had a few disappear this year, but the way I look at it is they're reading. If I can help out one student who probably doesn't own a single book, then that's ok. I don't buy most of my books new, they all come from Half Price Books, or from my scholastic bonus points.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 6, 2006

My kids check out books on cards in a pocket chart (actually a CD holder thing from the dollar store). So I always know which books are out. When each child returns the book report with the book, they get a small book charm which they add to a chain attached to a bookmark. This helps them to remember.